Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 656 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 131 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 130 131
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by Diamondblue
    Then I drive away thinking, "how the heck is he going to be challenged in first grade today?"

Perhaps he can adhere to the unwritten gifted student mantra "If you can't be challenged, be challenging!"

D
    D
    Originally Posted by KJP
    Perhaps he can adhere to the unwritten gifted student mantra "If you can't be challenged, be challenging!"

LOL! My younger (grade 1) went to school today determined to explain to his teacher about the different densities of infinity. He felt sure she'll be interested. And she probably will.

DeeDee

OP Offline
    My DD, in listening to a Liszt arrangement of Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre...

(she was referring to the extremely rapid-- twitchy, really-- arpeggio work in the left hand under the rapid-fire staccato all over the upper half of the keyboard in the middle of the work)

{admiringly} Sweet mother-of-god... how is that POSSIBLE?

{pauses, smiling slyly, uses evil villian voice...}

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!!

Okay, this requires an explanation of the German version of the Rainbow fish, which we've been toying with for weeks as DD studies for her German final... and how there are times when even the super-powers of the Rainbow Fish are insufficient to the... demands of the day. {ahem} This has become a running joke at our house lately. How one could... appeal... to the Rainbow Fish for help. In German, of course-- but that that Rainbow Fish is not likely to be useful in many more adult situations. Such as making Liszt's reach, which is in some places about a 12th in that piece. I think that Liszt and the Rach himself are the only human beings who really stand a chance...

She's very clever sometimes.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    My DD, in listening to a Liszt arrangement of Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre...

(she was referring to the extremely rapid-- twitchy, really-- arpeggio work in the left hand under the rapid-fire staccato all over the upper half of the keyboard in the middle of the work)

{admiringly} Sweet mother-of-god... how is that POSSIBLE?

{pauses, smiling slyly, uses evil villian voice...}

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!!

Okay, this requires an explanation of the German version of the Rainbow fish, which we've been toying with for weeks as DD studies for her German final... and how there are times when even the super-powers of the Rainbow Fish are insufficient to the... demands of the day. {ahem} This has become a running joke at our house lately. How one could... appeal... to the Rainbow Fish for help. In German, of course-- but that that Rainbow Fish is not likely to be useful in many more adult situations. Such as making Liszt's reach, which is in some places about a 12th in that piece. I think that Liszt and the Rach himself are the only human beings who really stand a chance...

She's very clever sometimes.

shocked A good example for the "non-gifted parent" thread I think!! I like how your 'explanation' is even more confusing than the original comment grin But I don't know anything about a) music or b) German so perhaps it's just me

A
    A
    Also, relieved to see you spelt villain wrong grin

K
    K
    And I am thinking that I might be spending too much time on this board because I actually understood ....LOL

OP Offline
    Wellll, we did note that this was the thread for quirky, which I also took to mean idiosyncratic and downright strange. I didn't even share the part where she drew a picture today for her dad....

of Teddy, the cross-dressing teddy bear who is wearing a brilliant red thong, false eyelashes and fishnet stockings... It's Teddy's Geburstag* and she's ready to party! (eek...)

She was "inspired" this morning by a conversation that began with my DH making some quip about buying a thong... "what?? It's for my teddy..." (which I forget what prompted that, but anyway-- he often makes outrageous remarks like that for comic value).

I immediately pointed out that it's probably for Teddy's Geburtstag. That was all that it took for DD to get this.. er.. "vision" and go forward with it. Picture a classic Teddy Bear dressed as described and posed with paws on hips, if you will. It's not really naughty so much as just... odd. My DD has Surrealist leanings, in case her inner Baz Luhrman wasn't already obvious from her remaking of Hamlet and The Importance of Being Earnest (both of which I have posted about, I know).

She also had a lot of fun this past week writing as the beleaguered Mama Bear in her revisionist Goldilocks. Yup. Evidently, the day that the awful destructive girl broke in was... you guessed it, Teddy's Geburtstag. She ruined the party completely, trashed the cake and presents, and vandalized the house. He's going to need therapy to ever see a birthday card the same way again, evidently. wink

*For the uninitiated, my DD is a German student who is studying 'literature' at a first year level... so she's checking out children's books. Regenbogenfish and Teddy's Geburtstag among them. Those have provided us with the most entertainment value as a household. The Grimm's stories are just plain horrifying without much embellishment.

It's possible that AP Physics and the stress of the SAT on Saturday are making her a little punchy. Likely, even.

In case it hasn't become painfully obvious to anyone who reads my posts, I don't use a spell checker. I'm a neo-Luddite who doesn't believe in them. LOL. Even when I should. I also type far faster than my typing skills can actually support. blush

A
    A
    Okay, I got most of that one. Even without any typos included to make me feel better about myself smile

OP Offline
    I live with a pair of VERY strange people. They would also claim that I fit right in, but I don't believe that for a moment. I am not the person who thinks that King Lear needs a scene with multiple Elvis impersonators.

I am not the person that chose "shoot fire out my butt" when asked; 'which superpower would you most like to have?'

I cannot say the same for either of my family members.

A
    A
    smile My quirky kid (6) just called me downstairs for a meeting, regarding converting the laundry room into a laboratory for her. Quite serious she was too. She wants to be Marie Curie, who she just came across this week but is very taken with!
    Now I'm googling ideas for making a kids lab! The things we do ...

Page 8 of 131 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM