Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 126 of 131 1 2 124 125 126 127 128 130 131
    E
    E
    My brother had a job for most of high school visiting and interacting with a resident of one of the local nursing homes. The staff couldn't really give enough individual attention to Frank, so my brother used to come in and feed him, then walk with him all over the home. They would stop in every room to say hi and chat, so he developed close relationships with all of the other patients, too. Frank (a retired stockbroker) used to try to give my brother investment advice, but was stymied by the fact that my brother had almost no money to invest. smile I'm sure it was fairly inexpensive for the family who hired him, and I think it was a job that contributed in a pretty major way to my brother's personal development, too. NotherBen, if you can't be there every day yourself, you might want to see if you can find a high school student who could spend some time with your father after school.

N
    N
    Elizabeth, that's a great idea. Actually, DS is home for a semester, that would be good for him. One gentleman was hanging out in the dining room this afternoon. The activities director told me that was huge because he never wanted to leave his room except for meals. He's one of my dad's dinner buddies and a nice guy. I wanted to go get my dad to join him, but he was sick today. When he's better I will make a point of getting them together outside of meals.

RRD, around here schools vary on whether they require volunteer hours, but they all allow students to log them for awards. But staff told me today that the problem is volunteers and employees need a TB vaccination, and not everyone has had it. Oddly, though, they do not require it of families. Hmm.

We were talking about a Lego program today, and the activities director told me they'd like to start one but they need Duplos, not Lego, to prevent accidental swallowing. I told her I still have a binful of Duplos if they want them!

Turns out the guy who teaches Spanish was in for rehab, he lives in the independent living apartments across the street. He was a Spanish teacher before he retired, and after his rehab he wanted to offer the class to "give back".

And RRD, that is very insightful about unicorns and magic! I suppose that would apply to all creatures with magical powers? The possibilities of the universe taking that turn boggle the mind.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Isn't it a lovely notion? Makes me smile to think about it.

N
    N
    I love eavesdropping on the kids. My son's middle school science and homeroom teacher used to love to eavesdrop on him and his buddy ignoring the class and talking quietly about math.

R
    RRD Offline
    R
    We've finally caught DS6 in his first ever known infraction of "reading a book under the covers after bedtime".

My work here is done. smile

A
    A
    DS6 on his science teacher's feedback that he needs to be more open-minded with classmates' ideas in their discussions.

"It's all just a bunch of kids randomly saying, "I think this, or I think that." I'll be more open to other kids' ideas if they're actually supported by evidence."

Ain't it the truth!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Not sure who is more quirky in this one...

DD13 is greatly expanding her understanding and appreciation of music through a variety of outlets - flute practice/performance, self-teaching of piano rudiments, browsing sheet music, exposure to new group of friends and their tastes, etc. A notable side-effect is her blossoming contempt for what passes for modern pop music, and a gravitation towards some of the music I'd been playing for her for years that she never disliked, but never fully appreciated, either.

DD: "Aren't you glad that I'm liking more of your music now?"
    Me: "Sure. I knew you'd be cool one day."

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Ha! Where's the like button?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    #2 just spent the weekend re-editing video and audio, creating graphics, titling, transitions (not the music/underscore, though; #1 wrote that)--general audio/video post-production--on a brief multimedia presentation generated by an adult (volunteer amateurs, admittedly) team from our community organization, because it did not meet #2's standards. To their enormous gratitude and appreciation. I give the adults a lot of credit, that they were willing to hand it over to a kid.

The kids had a great time with this self-inflicted project, and I must say part of the pleasure was likely that it was a "real" project with a short deadline, that was being judged on adult community standards (not professional, but skilled amateur).

I, of course, can't quite shake the thought: Better get used to this, kid. You'll be fixing other people's work for many years to come!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Spy sent in to discover if DS6 is smart, or just annoying to DS: "Was that a better day?"

DS6: gives thumbs at 7/8ths up

Spy: "So so?"

DS6: "well, it was better, just not all the way"

Spy: "half better?"

DS6: stares

Spy: (looks at thumb) "three quarters?"

DS6: "Well, I'm saying 7/8ths"

Last edited by Michaela; 03/29/18 07:50 AM.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Page 126 of 131 1 2 124 125 126 127 128 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM