Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 150 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Paribus, jemond75, catmom5, mom2kids, courtneyrd83
    10953 Registered Users
    April
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3
    4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    11 12 13 14 15 16 17
    18 19 20 21 22 23 24
    25 26 27 28 29 30
    Topic Options
    #157941 - 05/23/13 11:23 AM Middle schooler interested in learning latin
    mom2wi Offline

My middle schooler wants to learn Latin. It is not offered in our district, does anyone have any good resources?

#157942 - 05/23/13 11:31 AM Re: Middle schooler interested in learning latin [Re: mom2wi]
    DeeDee Offline

These folks offer it, but we've never taken a course from them, so I can't comment on quality.

http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/gll/

#163605 - 08/05/13 11:21 AM Re: Middle schooler interested in learning latin [Re: mom2wi]
    Quantum2003 Offline

I started a thread in the recommended learning resources forum a couple of months and got some suggestions, which you may want to check out. My DS (rising 5th grader) ended up using William Linney's Getting Started with Latin. I also picked up some nice laminated grammar and vocabulary charts from BarCharts, Inc./Quick Study Academic via Amazon. He is able to learn it independently although I do answer questions occasionally.

#163622 - 08/05/13 12:56 PM Re: Middle schooler interested in learning latin [Re: mom2wi]
    Chana Offline

Wow! Someone else with a middle school kid who wants to learn Latin! She attends a private school, but our local homeschool store had some books and CDs that we are going to start with. I wanted something that she could work on in her spare time in class. So, we got her a book that analyzes Latin hymns. She can listen at night and use the workbook in class. When she gets through that, I will go to a more formal systematic curriculum. The homeschool store had a few options for curriculum and a tutor that did classes there. If she sticks with it, we may arrange something with him. If you live near one, you may see what they have.

#167538 - 09/13/13 05:57 AM Re: Middle schooler interested in learning latin [Re: mom2wi]
    blessed Offline

We use Latina Christiana (videos, workbook, and flashcards).

#172872 - 10/27/13 09:24 AM Re: Middle schooler interested in learning latin [Re: mom2wi]
    gotmar Offline

At my private middle school, we use Ecce Romani. We have it as a required class, so I wouldn't know about learning it by oneself, but it's nice because it allows you to figure out some of the grammar by yourself before learning the chart. I think they might actually use it at the CTD course DeeDee mentioned, but I couldn't find an explicit statement about that anywhere.

Also, through the CAFE library system in Wisconsin (I'm assuming you're there because of your username) you can find some good resources. Most of them require a library card, though.

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Next Terence Tao?
    by Archie
    43 minutes 37 seconds ago
    Beyond IQ
    by acgoldis
    Yesterday at 07:50 AM
    InterGifted
    by acgoldis
    Yesterday at 07:40 AM
    How can teachers challenge a more academically adv