Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    KJP #205631 11/12/14 01:45 PM
    C
    C
    We are just doing this for recreational listening. It is a long ride to school. Are there benefits (vocabulary etc) to this form of audio only listening?

At any rate we both enjoy it and appreciate any more suggestions for good stories for DS4 smile

KJP #205725 11/13/14 12:34 PM
    We have listened several times to "Vincent Shadow - Toy Inventor" (by Tom Kehoe), and "Nurk, The Strange, Surprising Adventures of a (Somewhat) Brave Shrew" (by Ursula Vernon). We found both by browsing titles at our local public library, and they are great fun. Oh - and "Aliens on Vacation" by Clete Barrett Smith.

The reader is so important - and the reader for each of these really added to the tales, which are awesome on their own.

Also Whizz Popp Chocolate Shoppe by Kate Saunders was great - using several actors for the various characters. It did have some scary parts for my DS7 - but he is very sensitive on this (e.g., he couldn't watch 101 Dalmations when they played it at school. "They're trying to KILL those PUPPIES!!")

One reason I like all the above stories is that they aren't so formulaic. We get a little weary of kids books that follow a cookbook recipe with only slight modifications. But that's another topic!

Have fun,
    Sue

Last edited by suevv; 11/13/14 12:34 PM.
    KJP #205854 11/15/14 03:51 AM
    F
    F
    We loved listening to "Carry On, Mr. Bowditch", "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH", and all of the Ramona books. Jim Weiss narrated "Carry On, Mr. Bowditch" and I loved his voice so much that I checked out a few other titles that he had narrated from the library.

For whatever reason, my youngest son couldn't handle some audiobooks when he was little because they were too scary. Unfortunately, I can't remember which ones they were!

KJP #205857 11/15/14 08:58 AM
    K
    K
    We've started listening to audiobooks recently, because we spend over an hour in the car several times a week and both kids are prone to motion sickness when they read. My goal is to pick books that they wouldn't otherwise read, are too long for me to read aloud, or are maybe a little advanced.

So far the results have been mostly good (we've listened to the first HP book, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Hobbit, The Wizard of Oz, the first two volumes of Story of the World, and several recordings by Jim Weiss.) The only "fail" we've had is Robin Hood, which DS9 found too difficult to follow (accent + archaic vocabulary), so we stopped after a couple of discs.

We own some of these, but primarily I've been relying on the library.

KJP #206074 11/19/14 01:06 PM
    C
    C
    Thanks all! The Black Stallion was a big hit and we are moving on to the next one. And if there are scary bits in the audiobooks my DS4 just covers up his eyes which seems to help smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM