Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 23 of 38 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 37 38
    U
    U
    It's a funny thing about name recognition. A lot of people don't recognize my alma mater, nor my DH's, despite the fact that both are very selective (albeit small) colleges (DH's is in the US News top 20; mine just out). However, if they HAVE heard of the schools, then that name recognition may well open doors. However, like I say, the name "zing" is nothing like an Ivy or even a good state U. Oh well. I think all this is vastly overestimated anyway, for most people.

I think so, too, ultramarina.

Which is why we've opted out of playing.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    I ask myself if 8 classes over the course of 8 months, a shared dorm room and some institutional food are really worth $60,000. I ask myself if an equivalent education can be had for less (say, in Europe or Canada). My husband and I both attended colleges and universities in Europe for next to nothing. We both got excellent educations and we're both very employable.
    $60K at Stanford gets you CS classes taught by *undergraduates*:

http://gasstationwithoutpumps.wordpress.com/2013/05/21/stanford-campus-tour/
    2013 May 21
    Stanford campus tour
    by Kevin Karplus

We did sit in on a class that the course adviser had suggested in his e-mail. It had about 50 students in a classroom that would seat about three times that many, and neither the professor nor the TA were there. The lecture was given by an undergraduate section leader, who did a pretty good job of explaining how operator overloading in C++ is done (though he made a lot of typos in his live demos, and he used a black background with lights shining on the projection screen, so his example text was a little hard to read due to unacceptably low contrast). My son learned one or two things from the lecture, and decided that he’d be better off learning C++ on his own over the summer, rather than taking such a course.
    But since Stanford has an abundance of applicants, and since Silicon Valley continues to hire its CS majors, why make the professors give the lectures?

A
    A
    Has anybody (in US) seriously considered getting college education abroad? GB tuition for foreigners at the leading colleges (I checked 3) is about 15,000 british pounds (~ US $22,500) per year (for math; it is higher for lab sciences) - which looks like 1/2 of US private tuition. Housing expenses are listed as about US $12,000 (comparable to US).

Yes, we have definitely considered it. Our only problem is that it means having a parent living overseas, and that also means dealing with the work-visa situation in whatever country.

BINGO, Bostonian.

That is why we are ignoring all of the hype and ratings and instead focusing on what we KNOW from bitter experience in academia actually translates into authentic differences in instructional quality.

Ergo-- no graduate program. Because if you go somewhere with a PhD program as an undergraduate major, that's who teaches coursework under the 300- level. And, as Karplus notes, the occasional senior undergraduate major. While some of those students are excellent and energetic educators... it's entirely luck of the draw, and the departments who do this absolutely DO NOT care about quality in their teaching assistant corps. Been there, done that. Some of my fellow graduate students were so indifferent that they literally blew off student questions in tutorials and labs, and others were excellent and conscientious. It made no difference to who got hired the following year-- and this was at an institution which actually cared enough about its teaching to bother "training" the T.A.'s as incoming graduate students. Yeah. "Training" there lasted about as long as the HazMat course-- half a day-- and at least the latter had some kind of assessment associated.

On the bright side, every person teaching a chemistry lab at that institution was CPR certified. LOL.

A
    A
    Oxford's "Admission on academic ability and academic potential alone" statement sharply contrasts with well-known US admission practices.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/international_students/

AFAIK, college *domestic* admissions in Germany is on merit alone too. (I guess that would also apply to international admissions.)

HowlerKarma - UK in particular has "Exceptional Talent" visa (unfortunately, only about 1000 for sciences / per year) and general science and engineering employment visas.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by arlen1
    Oxford's "Admission on academic ability and academic potential alone" statement sharply contrasts with well-known US admission practices.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/international_students/

AFAIK, college *domestic* admissions in Germany is on merit alone too. (I guess that would also apply to international admissions.)

In the UK admission by academic merit alone is typical for both domestic and international admissions. We're bemused by the US norm!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    While some of those students are excellent and energetic educators... it's entirely luck of the draw, and the departments who do this absolutely DO NOT care about quality in their teaching assistant corps.

I worked my butt off TAing graduate thermodynamics at my college. (A confluence of circumstances - the previous professor had failed to get tenure, largely because he was spending so much time teaching a really good thermo course, which was one of two weeder courses in our department. His replacement had been on his tenure committee, and thus was publicly committed to the idea that it doesn't take much effort to teach graduate thermo.) 30-40 hrs/week just teaching that discussion section, dealing with out-of-class questions, and writing the solutions sets for homework (I had a grader to grade the homework, but I generated the solution sets for him to work off of). I had stellar student evaluations. However, they decided not to give me the annual teaching award for TAs, because I was teaching a graduate class, not undergraduate. To his credit, the professor who taught the course was livid on my behalf.

A
    A
    Some state universities in US still charge about 5 k in-state / 10 k out-of-state tuition. UC Berkeley out-of-state tuition is 35 k / year, though.

http://www.collegedata.com/cs/data/college/college_pg03_tmpl.jhtml?schoolId=1090

In case of Berkeley, the cause is the near-bankrupt state of California. But the way things going here in US, more states may look like California in the coming years.

Page 23 of 38 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 37 38

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM