Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 189 of 268 1 2 187 188 189 190 191 267 268
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    This is one of those, can only tell here things, not sure it's a brag, but I thought it was so cool, so I guess it makes it a brag!!!

So listening to Science Friday (NPR) DS 7 loves it, and we often do that. Physicist Lee Smollin was talking about his argument about time - he has a new book out - was very specific, and definition based, and a little esoteric. DS starts waving his arms and wants me to pause the recording. So I do and he says, I don't agree with him, and launches into his rationale for why this guy was wrong, based on a discussion of time Neil de grasse Tyson did on StarTalk 3 months ago - about time being dependent on the way you measure it and the ability to measure it and that it doesnt exist without the ability to measure something repeatable. It was a very scientifically reasoned and supported discussion using a different scholarly point of view - it was so awesome!

DeHe
    That is pretty great! Maybe he could send them both a letter with his point of view!

D
    D
    It was awards day yesterday at dd12's school and she got an award for being on the principal's honor roll all year, an award for academic excellence, and probably the most meaningful one for her, the language arts writing award. Clearly we made the right choice to skip her! Honestly I think academically she could certainly use another skip, but she is happy socially and I think set up for a good year next year. I am very proud of her for adjusting well to such a big change (move, new big middle school, skipping 6th grade, having to study for the first time, make new friends, etc.)

U
    U
    My brag is that DD9 is her class's student of the week this week. She's only been student of the week one other time this year, and she's been pretty bummed about it, since last year she was SOTW 3 or 4 times. However, the teacher just switched to having the kids vote for SOTW instead of it being teacher-selected (why, I don't know, and I think it's a bit weird, but anyway) last week. DD's teacher may not find her vote-worthy, but I guess the other kids do. Interesting.

M
    M
    This is one I can't tell to anyone outside our immediate family, whereas I want to shout it out loud.

Last month, DS competed at the national chess tournament in Nashville. He did great, finishing in the top 10 for his age group (age group and exact rank hidden to preserve some semblance of anonymity).

D
    D
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    This is one I can't tell to anyone outside our immediate family, whereas I want to shout it out loud.

Last month, DS competed at the national chess tournament in Nashville. He did great, finishing in the top 10 for his age group (age group and exact rank hidden to preserve some semblance of anonymity).

That is fantastic! Why can't you tell anyone? That kind of thing is totally celebrated around here, and I don't think it would be possible to keep it a secret. Congrats to your ds!

A
    A
    mithawk, what an outstanding result for your DS. He must feel so proud that all his hard work paid off.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Follow-up... how's this for advocacy?

DW: Please inform me immediately if you're going to accept DD8 for next year as a fourth grader and in the gifted program. I need an answer now so I can begin preparing my homeschool curriculum over the summer, if necessary.

School: Uhhh... okay. We'll take her.

Did I mention earlier that 4th grade is the year they take the state assessment test that matters, as it's the one the school gets graded on? Did I mention that they need to show improvement on those? I did mention that DD scored Mastery level on all subjects for the 3rd-grade version.

Bargaining from a position of strength, for the win.

Nicely done! If only all school discussions could be so straight-forward.

You do realize that, as a father of an imminent social butterfly, you're going to need a shotgun and a shovel, right? Those teen years approach quickly. wink

What is to give light must endure burning.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by deacongirl

That is fantastic! Why can't you tell anyone? That kind of thing is totally celebrated around here, and I don't think it would be possible to keep it a secret. Congrats to your ds!

I just checked my e-mail and the chess results were just sent to all of the parents in the school weekly update. I think that some people aren't threatened by chess the same way they are with academic success, so here there is nothing but positive reactions to great chess players.

M
    M

Thank you. I know it is welcome here.

But others have widely diverging reactions. Our older relatives (my or my wife's parents, aunts, etc.) are happy to hear about it.

But it's a very different ballgame when it comes to relatives or friends with school age children. We became wary a few years ago when he first won a state championship. It made several people uncomfortable, including some of our cousins.

D
    D

Thank you. I know it is welcome here.

But others have widely diverging reactions. Our older relatives (my or my wife's parents, aunts, etc.) are happy to hear about it.

But it's a very different ballgame when it comes to relatives or friends with school age children. We became wary a few years ago when he first won a state championship. It made several people uncomfortable, including some of our cousins.
    That stinks. Still--so great for your ds that he loves chess and is doing well!

Page 189 of 268 1 2 187 188 189 190 191 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM