Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DD just laughs openly about it. I can't blame her.

It's taken my DD a long time to get to this place. Previously, it was teeth-gnashing and refusal. Which wasn't very productive in affecting change, of course, but her innate sense of justice and profoundly indignant attitude required some kind of protest, I think.

I hate EDM. HATE it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    If I read that article right, the fall of K being studied was fall 1998, so indeed, it'll be interesting to see how things have changed.

I've talked before about the surprise I felt the first time I found that DS-then-just-turned-3 could indeed answer "which number is less?" questions not, as I'd expected, for all pairs of the numbers he apparently understood, but only for some of them, just as the developmental list I'd been reading predicted (albeit for kids several years older!). So it could be that teachers observed "teaching counting" were actually doing something much more sophisticated and appropriate... no, who am I kidding?

But seriously, part of it may be a mismatch between what mathematically aware people intend and what actually happens in the classroom. For example, identifying shapes is a grand thing to do if the follow-up question is "How do you know?". Children may start school being able to identify circles, but they don't, typically, start school knowing the definition of a circle. I would think there is lots of good maths to be learned by a Socratic dialogue along the lines of "What is it?"... "How do you know? Could you explain what a circle is to a Martian who doesn't know the word circle?"... "So is this a circle, too?"... "Why not?"... "Ah, now I understand. So this is one, and this isn't?" etc.

I'll have what she's having. This is one of the ONLY types of instruction that truly work with my DD. She loves to think and talk about her thinking and learning. But she does NOT love to do things that are seemingly pointless just because that's what the directions said to do. (ugh)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    It's taken my DD a long time to get to this place.

I guess I ought to appreciate that DD can do this at 9. She has a certain look that she gets on her face sometimes when confronted with stuff like this. Little sideways smile. Eye roll. "Hmm...which one is the triangle? I have NO IDEA."

As opposed to her brother...pre-K sight words are a vile affront to his dignity.

Good reminder that sometimes they switch places with the "drama queen" bit.

A
    A
    I shudder to think how DS19mo will feel about kindergarten, if we send him. He already makes it plain that he won't suffer fools who patronize him with material he already knows, like ultramarina's son. All it takes is Nana asking him to ID a shape, color, letter, or what have you, and he gives her an, "Are you ***ing kidding me!?" look. But, couch review in novel material and he'll rise to the occasion to show his new and old knowledge.

I can't say I think the indignation is a poor reaction, though!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM