Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 29 of 38 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 37 38
    Clearly, Charlton Heston is the 12th Doctor. (To have returned to earth in the future, I mean.)

Wonder who his companion was, though? Hmmm...

If you have any interest in feeling what it must be like to *be* Mr. Friedman, you may create your own at the above link.

Oh, GOODY!! I'm tempted to save it for my birthday, but... nahhh...

grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by mithawk
    I don't know if it's gone, but it has changed. We just filled a junior engineering position in my company. What I saw was tremendous wage compression. The best grads out of college were touching six figures, and many highly qualified candidates with 10 years of experience were making about the same amount.

That's one of the reasons I bailed on engineering and went into law, so there were indicators of it there in the mid-1990's.

I was also concerned about the "industrial scrapheap".

Naturally, I missed the "lawyer scrapheap", which appears to be worse.

In any event, I console myself that I am, at least, not inhaling industrial fumes.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Clearly, Charlton Heston is the 12th Doctor. (To have returned to earth in the future, I mean.)

Wonder who his companion was, though? Hmmm...

That reminds me about the Twelve Monkeys.

I really enjoyed that movie. I should watch it again.

Granted, I also enjoyed the Planet of the Apes. I would watch it again, but I've already seen it enough. I couldn't be bothered to watch the Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 87%.

Maybe it's a good movie, after all.

I was quite unimpressed with Beneath the Planet of the Apes.

I just found Westworld the other day. How I never saw that movie before is beyond me. Seriously, it was a 1970's movie that I never even heard of before.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    It's very confusing if you don't understand that the entire story actually takes place on Earth and not "The Planet of the Apes."

I think they should have renamed the movie "Future Earth".

That would have made it much less confusing to the average moviegoer.

It's also a much more honest title.

JonLaw, were you confused by the mean movie? frown It's okay. smile We still love and respect you. <3 <3 <3

http://thomasfriedmanopedgenerator.com/Macedonia+and+its+Own+Arab+Awakening+c57aa8

It combines a firm grasp of the true nature of current global realpolitik trends with a warm rational optimism that a better world is truly possible.

If you have any interest in feeling what it must be like to *be* Mr. Friedman, you may create your own at the above link.

Awwwww..... so warm and fuzzy...

Iron Empires and Iron Fists in Iceland was so heartwarming. I laughed, I cried... I... er... smirked?

Well, no matter. I feel cleansed. wink

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    It's pretty much the BigLaw system for elite school undergrads.

It's an insane inhuman system for the simple reason that it's an insane inhuman system.
    I don't think it's "insane". If you want to make a lot of money in your early 20s, you usually need to make some sacrifices, and employers know it.

If "make a lot of money" is so highly ranked among your priorities that you're willing to accept the kinds of trades they're asking for (and which you've presumably already made in the achievement arms race required to get the job in the first place), then insanity has already been achieved.

It's all about inter-temporal consumption smoothing and the attendant subjective discount rates people attach to consumption now vs. later, be it for leisure, products, or what have you. I wouldn't say one set is "better" or "worse", just that they're different and filtered through different subjective lenses. Just as people vary in risk appetite, so too they vary in intertemporal "patience".

Personally, while I wouldn't want to pull the kind of hours now that I did in the past, I'm grateful I had the opportunity to do so early on. In a few years I gained the experience that people in in-house corporate roles would have had to slog through decades of work to see. Those time economies were definitely worthwhile, and I think they often get overlooked in the work-life balance calculus.

Graduate school cured me of that urge to work more hours.

(Just noting.)

A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I'm also left wondering (and I'm not the only one) where the heck these magical new "product innovations" are going to come from, exactly, since scientists and engineers are not being stabled in any way that fosters innovation to begin with.

I couldn't agree more. I could go on at length, but I don't want to give you cataracts.

*Mumbles something about automatic revenue elevators and a fixed 24 hour working capacity. Bashes head against wall.*

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    I couldn't agree more. I could go on at length, but I don't want to give you cataracts.

*Mumbles something about automatic revenue elevators and a fixed 24 hour working capacity. Bashes head against wall.*

Some of them will come from outsiders: people who opted out and work a low-impact or part-time job that meets their financial needs while they work away on what will turn out to be something that will disrupt their fields.

I read recently that there's an initiative to encourage theoretical physics in Africa (here's one institute). If I remember correctly, the idea is to encourage physicists who haven't been immersed in current trends, with the hope being that they might have fresh insights that others have missed.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by aquinas

Some of them will come from outsiders: people who opted out and work a low-impact or part-time job that meets their financial needs while they work away on what will turn out to be something that will disrupt their fields.

I read recently that there's an initiative to encourage theoretical physics in Africa (here's one institute). If I remember correctly, the idea is to encourage physicists who haven't been immersed in current trends, with the hope being that they might have fresh insights that others have missed.

Thanks for the link, Val. I'll read that with interest.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 29 of 38 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 37 38

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM