Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 22 of 38 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 37 38
    Val Offline
    What do average and mediocre and superstar mean when applied to science? How do you define them?

Do you define according to the number of papers people publish, their average journal impact factor score? The number of NIH or NSF grants they get?

If you measure by those standards, you define "master craftsman" as the only type of scientist who will be a superstar. There is no room for paradigm-breaking projects in that world. There can't be: breaking the model takes years of s-l-o-w ponderous thought, and there is no time for that approach when you have to publish constantly! and get grants!! or lose your job!!! shocked shocked shocked

Not to mention that those groundbreaking ideas are way too risky for funding anyway. Forget that! You might as well give up. IMO, a lot of our successful scientists (especially in the biological and medical sciences) are doing incremental work that looks safe on grant applications. In a way, this is a natural but disastrous outcome of over-expansion at universities and paylines that fund 10% or less of applicants.

Last edited by Val; 05/21/13 02:45 PM.
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    It's a huge problem. I would never recommend an engineering degree over the corresponding science degree. Never.

In all seriousness, isn't a B.S. in Electrical Engineering more marketable than a B.S. in, say, Physics?

It was my general impression that you basically had to get a Ph.D. in the sciences for it to be good for employability.

This list has Electrical Engineering at #5, Physics at #10, with a difference of only 4%:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57490541/best-paying-jobs-for-bachelors-degree-holders/

Last edited by Dude; 05/21/13 02:52 PM. Reason: more input
    Val Offline
    It was my general impression that you basically had to get a Ph.D. in the sciences for it to be good for employability.

In my experience (including observations of many others), it's harder to get a job when you have a Ph.D. This is because there are way more jobs for technicians and research assistants, etc. than there are for group-leader-type or other terminally degreed scientists.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val

In my experience (including observations of many others), it's harder to get a job when you have a Ph.D. This is because there are way more jobs for technicians and research assistants, etc. than there are for group-leader-type or other terminally degreed scientists.
    Ok, but someone smart enough to earn a PhD is usually not content to be a technician or research assistant for the long term. I think JonLaw was saying, correctly, that one needs a PhD for a scientific career.

Originally Posted by Val

I'll admit that I was thinking of patent law, where the heavier the credential, the better.

For example, see:

http://www.wkmclaughlin.com/JobRetrieve.aspx?spec=1&emp=2&TZ=0

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Ok, but someone smart enough to earn a PhD is usually not content to be a technician or research assistant for the long term. I think JonLaw was saying, correctly, that one needs a PhD for a scientific career.

Not sure if that's what he meant, but you're mostly correct. People with Ph.D.s won't get hired to be technicians for the most part. But people without them may be promoted to Scientist roles if they have a lot of experience and impress their employers in industry. This pretty much won't happen in the US in academia.

My overall point was that there aren't a whole lot of jobs for Ph.D.-level scientists compared to people with lower degrees.

When I lived in Ireland, people who did research Master's degrees would typically be employed as "research assistants" in academia. This term was used very differently then over there. It meant "someone who can work independently on a project." RAs there were somewhere between technicians and postdocs. Many of them that I knew ended up writing up their work and getting PhDs anyway. Don't know if that's changed.

Last edited by Val; 05/21/13 03:42 PM.
    W
    W
    Originally Posted by Wren
    And Bostonian, I agree that 7% inflation adjusted might be conservative but tuition increases have been increasing per decade, so I would rather be conservative in college savings account. And there is the impact of foreign universities upping the arms race. There are all these schools in mideast, China and India trying to get on the top 20 list and locals are investing research dollars in them. US schools are going to have a hard time competing with them over the next 10 years, they have very aggressive plans.
    According to my earlier quote from the College Board, the gap between college price inflation and general inflation for private schools has been DECREASING over the last few decades (but is still positive).

Published prices at public four-year institutions rose more
    rapidly between 2002-03 and 2012-13 than over either of
    the two preceding decades, but the average annual rate
    of increase in inflation-adjusted tuition and fees at private
    nonprofit four-year institutions declined from 4.6% from
    1982-83 to 1992-93, to 3.0% from 1992-93 to 2002-03, and
    to 2.4% over the most recent decade.

First of all, I did not see that. The graph shows accelerated rates for tuition increases. At least, the graph I saw in your link but and inflation adjusted means the nominal amount is more in range with my 150K. Even still, with your FV of 105,000 approx at 7%. You are at almost 450K for 4 years at a top school in 8 years.

The whole point was what outcomes justified the investment in education. And what kind of education. So conceding your numbers, the question still stands.

And what the hell is Reed, I never heard of it. Never met anyone who graduated from there.

M
    M
    And what the hell is Reed, I never heard of it. Never met anyone who graduated from there.
    Steve Jobs is the most famous Reed student, and dropout.

B
    B
    One source of selective college admissions mania is the unwillingness of many students and parents to actually research colleges rather than relying solely on name recognition.

One source of selective college admissions mania is the unwillingness of many students and parents to actually research colleges rather than relying solely on name recognition.

It's apparently in Oregon.

I hadn't heard of it either, so don't feel bad.

Since neither you nor I ever heard of it, it's not relevant.

Page 22 of 38 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 37 38

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM