Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #15736 05/11/08 10:49 AM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Well, I didn't even have to show DH your posts. He agrees. DS is truly unhappy. We'll see if he will finish the year. If not, he's out and we're done. We'll homeschool for the rest of the year and see what the school will do for him in third. If they can't/won't accommodate him, we're homeschooling.

Thanks for the posts on the other thread and for the pm's I received. It's a happy Mother's Day for me - and for DS - and for DH and DDg. smile

Last edited by questions; 05/11/08 10:50 AM. Reason: added husband and dog, LOL!
    CFK #15741 05/11/08 12:35 PM
    I am glad DH agrees. Sorry, I haven't managed to reply to the other post yet, I guess it's not needed anymore grin

I agree, if he is truly unhappy, you may just start hs right now.

Good luck

LMom
    Originally Posted by questions
    Well, I didn't even have to show DH your posts. He agrees. DS is truly unhappy. We'll see if he will finish the year. If not, he's out and we're done. We'll homeschool for the rest of the year and see what the school will do for him in third. If they can't/won't accommodate him, we're homeschooling.

Thanks for the posts on the other thread and for the pm's I received. It's a happy Mother's Day for me - and for DS - and for DH and DDg. smile

Happy mother's day -= weird huh? You two really are in sync!
    I sure did enjoy reading the other thread, though.

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    yeah questions!!!

Good. smile

How are you feeling now?

I hope this gives your son what he needs. I think it will. It's hard for me to imagine that it could be anything less than better!

Kriston
    K
    K
    Good for you! I bet it just feels good to be on the same page and to have a decision in place. And I enjoyed reading the other thread too. I was going to add my 2 cents, but I'll save myself some typing!

DH and I've agreed to do some trial home school work this summer and see how it goes. I have to admit our school is fun this time of year between talent show, running club, school carnival, career day, field trips, etc. DS is actually having fun at school right now. Of course, he's not learning a darn thing!

acs Offline
    Originally Posted by kimck
    I have to admit our school is fun this time of year between talent show, running club, school carnival, career day, field trips, etc. DS is actually having fun at school right now. Of course, he's not learning a darn thing!

It's great he can look foward to school, at least for a while. And to look on the bright side, I would probably argue that he is learning, too. Those things you just mentioned can be extremely valuable learning opportunities. Be glad you still have them. I remember when many of those things were taken out of our school's curriculum so that they could spend more time preparing the kids for reading tests, my DS's teacher said, "well, I've taught them to read and write, but I'm sorry to say that I have given them nothing to write about." I think what the teacher was saying is that these activities provide contexts in which learning makes sense--keeping track of money at the carnival, having a funny story to write about from the talent show, etc. I'm not saying that those things are sufficient, because they aren't, I just wouldn't discount them as non-learning activities.

acs #15760 05/12/08 06:30 AM
    Great news questions! I'm happy your DH is on the same page. You must feel such relief.

DDg - very funny!

Isa Offline
    Well, my DH did read it smile

We told DD she does not have to go back to school for the rest of the year if she does not want. Next year she has to go, but for now we homeschool - if only for a few months.

We still have to decide how to handle it with the actual school....

Isa #15762 05/12/08 06:45 AM
    Isa - that's wonderful news. I just read your post on the other thread. How did DD react?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM