Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
    A
    A
    Thanks for the thoughtful bump, Ametrine!

Current passions at 18 months, starting with greatest interest (errr...obsession):
    1. Books, books, books!
    2. Garbage trucks
    3. Construction vehicles
    4. Dinosaurs
    5. Other modes of transportation
    6. Playing in the sandbox/at the playground

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    My 14 month old loves animals (especially cats), books (especially about cats), babies, puzzles, the shape sorter, climbing to dangerous heights, and cars.

When my DS6 was a DS2, he loved numbers, reading, puzzles, numbers, typing, building structures, Bob the Builder, and did I mention numbers?

L
    L
    Originally Posted by Mana
    I think I am raising a mad scientist. Her greatest passion is astronomy but she is also into electronic circuits, human anatomy, botany, ornithology, and robotics. Have I mentioned that I am not a science person? I'd have done so much better with a child who wanted to learn history, language, literature, and philosophy. At least we both like math.

She continues to love music by Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, and John Coltrane.

She also loves ballet and practices it all day long. She's still not great at it but not as awful as she was a month ago when she started. wink

Me too. My DS4.5 loves science experiments, particularly ones that involve baking soda and vinegar. I bought a bag of baking soda from BJs because we go through that much. He also just got the snap circuits and is enjoying that.

He enjoys pop music, though, and always latches on to the "bad" stuff. Recently, he's seen the video for Psy's "Gentleman" (which, if you haven't seen it, has him doing all these practical jokes, then has a little dance), so DS is constantly doing things that are a little mean and then does the dance. He hasn't quite figured out the difference between a funny and mean. He also remembers the naughty versions of songs, if he hears them, and gets upset by the censored versions. All this, of course, is better than when he was into "Sexy and I Know It", complete with the stripping. blush

M
    M
    I love this thread! So interesting to find that my DS4 is not the only one who is OBSESSED with anything to do with calculators, clocks, calendars, maps, thermometers, gauges etc. He also went through the astronomy and states of the U.S. phase. Now he is completely obsessed with maps of any kind. I swear you've never seen a happier child if you hand him a free mall directory!

On naughty bits in songs: Once, when we were not singing anything at all, but were on the bus, DS piped up, out of nowhere "Who's William the Bastard?" This was from a song I sometimes sing. He also once made up the insult "llama piss" -- also on the bus, of course.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    My son has been into gauges since he was three. Oh, and clocks. (He's busted at least six of those.)

He loves compasses (could read them at 3.5)and any other gauge (like compression gauges, etc.) He has been into temperature gauges for at least a year and loves to compare Celsius and Fahrenheit.

He "bee-lines" to any fire extinguishers to check out their "status".

He has a pedometer that he wears occasionally, too.

I was telling him today to put away his collection of stuff. He has such a wide range of "odds and ends": Dominoes, Marbles, Broken Gauges, Clocks, Mexican Jumping Beans, Mardigras Beads, Thermometers, Watches, Etch-A-Sketch, Gears (from a toy), Blocks, a Stopwatch, Calculators, Magic 8-Ball, Rubiks Cube....

Does your child's stash of collectables look similar?

It's been nearly two years since I posted this hodge-podge list of items my son is interested in.

Update: He's still into gauges, but not like he was. He still has a mess of this-and-that in his room and has some difficulty deciding what can go. (Can't keep it all, little man.) He speaks with warmth about things he has given to consignment or charity, and I admit I sometimes feel guilty for making him purge. He sees value in so many things and as he matures, he sees the value in things he used to own and asks why he had to give them up.

Some days I worry that he will turn into a hoarder.

Anyway, he seems to be between obsessions at the moment. I wonder what is next.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by MAmom
    I love this thread! So interesting to find that my DS4 is not the only one who is OBSESSED with anything to do with calculators, clocks, calendars, maps, thermometers, gauges etc. He also went through the astronomy and states of the U.S. phase. Now he is completely obsessed with maps of any kind. I swear you've never seen a happier child if you hand him a free mall directory!

smile

You need to go to the DMV and get your son the manual. Cool stuff in that.

Other than an obsession with books DS3 has been lining up cars for the past 2 years. Never plays with them, just lines them up over and over again. Not sure what to make of this. He will go on for hours. Very slow and meticulous...

C
    C
    Originally Posted by 1111
    Other than an obsession with books DS3 has been lining up cars for the past 2 years. Never plays with them, just lines them up over and over again. Not sure what to make of this. He will go on for hours. Very slow and meticulous...
    Forgive me for not remembering, but does he have an ASD diagnosis, or do you have any concerns in that direction? It's not clear whether or not you know that this is a classic - clichéd even - ASD sign.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    J
    J
    This is so much fun! I'm smiling going through these posts. My 3.5 J was into numbers and letters at 18 months, then books books books. US states, anatomy, what's inside the calculators and pedometers, dominoes, legos, space.. Yes, yes and yes! His room is full of wall maps, gadgets - loves especially the ones that blink crank-up or have levers, an eclipsing moon, revolving solar system and westeren earth that glows city lights. He has more remotes by his bed than I ever have! Lately he's been asking lots of questions about volcanos and tornados, and counting big numbers. He goes back and forth with puzzles, a week on a month off and round again. We explore these things when he can't get to a park or festival... he is happy jumping and walking around goofy, dancing to local bands, and big climbers. Thanks for this thread - fun sharing!

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM