Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 161 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #157018 05/16/13 09:53 AM
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    DS first grade has been attending 4th grade math (once a week) for a few months. We had a planning meeting today for next year. The principal informed us that DS will have NO acceleration next year. Nothing. He is to go to second grade and experience the differentiation that they don't actually do, like everyone else.

The reasoning? Gaps of course. But also (and the real reason), if they make this exception for us, the "line of other parents requesting the same" will also have to be accommodated.

Yes, I questioned the principal. Then she also started down the, "well yes, the psych report is outstanding and remarkable, but we really don't know who she is". (I won't name her, but she is an expert in gifted children for the past couple of decades.)

We've told the principal that this is unacceptable. If they do not go back and make some accommodation (we are ok with just a 2 year subject acceleration), we will pull out DS. They are regrouping and will get back to us in 2 weeks.

Is this totally nuts? Has anyone else been in this spot? And why do I feel so hurt? It's just business, right?

D
    D
    Someone panicked. But I would say, hang in there, you're not done yet.

Is there a written policy on acceleration in your district? Now would be a good time to familiarize yourself with it. There is one here, though it's a bit hidden... one has to be really looking to find it, because of the line of parents etc. Knowing their rules will help you know how to get the job done.

DeeDee

P
    P
    If they question the psych again "because we don't know her" request that the school provide an independent evaluation with a psych they do know and trust. If they continue to state there is a concern with gaps, request curriculum-specific achievement (such as end-of-year) testing to identify the gaps.

I have mixed feelings about the "can't do it because other parents would want to." Chances are good there are other students out there who would also be capable and benefit from math acceleration... and chances are the school simply can't handle it all due to staffing constraints, time, etc. Those of us who are here are parenting kids who are total outliers for the most part, but the reality is school isn't a good fit for many kids with even average IQs... and most of our school districts are having to stretch budgets that just won't stretch any further. So there's one side of me that understands that concern on the part of school staff. The flip side of course is you need to advocate for what your child needs - so I've found the most on-point argument for the 'we can't do that for you because we'd have to do that for other parents" line is to reply "We're not here to talk about all those other kids (parents), we're here to discuss the needs of my child." Then continue on smile

ITA with DeeDee too - find out what the official in-writing policy for acceleration is in your school district.

Good luck!

polarbear

Z
    Z
    We've been lucky so far with a fairly aware school district and staff. But it seems generally hard to tolerate people functionally lying or raising expectations only to drop them, and only amps up with the righteousness of seeing someone set your kid up to be unhappy, etc. If somehow DS's skip doesn't go through, I'd feel similarly.

For us, everything has felt easier knowing we are prepared to home school if that is the right option. Not the preferred option, but having made that decision and being ready for it sure gives a solid foundation to deal with anything that comes up.

I would nicely remind them that they are not "making an exception" for your son, they are meeting his academic needs, which is an integral part of any school's goals for every child.

As far as the "line of other parents," remind them that very few children are presenting the way that your DS does, and that, while they may have parents who request evaluation, that does not mean that they will have a line out the door of children who qualify for advanced work. Furthermore, there is a widely-held misconception among uneducated people that acceleration is harmful socially, so there are unlikely to be many parents who would want to "do" that to their child. FWIW, when my DD was the first to subject accelerate within our district, there was an increase in requests for evaluation for a short time, but once enough children were evaluated and didn't meet the high standards of achievement, ability, and social concerns, the interest reverted back to occasional, at best. (And those who did meet the standards began to have their needs met.)

I'm glad to hear that you told the principal that their new plan was unacceptable. And I'm glad that they are regrouping and will get back to you, rather than just dismissing you outright.

Perhaps a next step for you would be to provide them with information about who exactly your psych is. Maybe also provide them with some articles addressing the non-issue of gaps.

She thought she could, so she did.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    If they continue to state there is a concern with gaps, request curriculum-specific achievement (such as end-of-year) testing to identify the gaps.

Key Math seems like a good assessment for this purpose.

DeeDee

E
    OP Offline
    E
    There is no district policy at all. There are no mandates. Our gifted coordinator has no gifted training. We don't even have specialized math teachers. It's feeling very bleak now. We have been polite, supportive and positive all year. This is just a huge slap in the face.

We are totally prepared to homeschool or do private school. We don't want to but we'll do it if we need to.

I don't know if bringing more data and articles would do any good.

Val Offline
    How did he do in his fourth grade math acceleration this year?

Do you live in a state that has laws or regulations regarded gifted children (e.g. Pennsylvania mandates gifted IEPs)?

If they're tossing out random slippery-slope reasons, it may be that they've just made up their minds for reasons unknown to you.

(What is so horrible about accelerating other children if they need it? How is this different from letting other kids move more slowly in special ed?)

B
    B
    NO! If this is working for your son, the principal is giving you hair-brained excuses. I'm a teacher as well. wink

We accelerated my son by only a grade level as a starting point this year. It was a slow process because our principal wanted clear-cut data and a process laid out that would support our decision (I feared appearing like I was being accommodated because I teach there as well) so that when others asked for the same, a process was in place.

I would suggest keeping the conversation alive. I can share our district process for acceleration with you if you'd like. (I don't have the flow chart handy at home, but can scan and e-mail it later.) PUSH PUSH PUSH . . . not only for your son, but for every kid who deserves this!!!

B
    B
    It is RIDICULOUS to ask your son to go back and do a lower grade when he has completed and, I assume, performed well at a higher grade. "Gaps" tend to be a nonissue for these kids. Any potential issues can easily be remedied by involved parenting and appropriate, differentiated teaching, which every child is entitled to (but, I know, doesn't always get).

One last thought, have you seen the Iowa Acceleration Scale? Might be something to look at and present if you think it will help and hasn't been done already.

That principal is failing not only your son, but his entire school, if he so easily looks past and turns his back on ensuring that ALL students are appropriately challenged.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM