Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by 22B
    In our situation there is a very simple solution, that is perfectly satisfactory to us (for about the next decade),
    Hold it right there! What?!?!

ETA FTAOD my point is - it's literally incredible that you can be sure, when your child is 7, that something will work for the next 10 years. If you can, you need to write the book/bottle the magic!
    Let me clarify. We're in a virtual school. All we're asking is that they send the next course when the previous one is completed, (instead of having to wait 9 months for the next school year to start). If this would happen then we'd be perfectly satisfied that they were providing everything they could be expected to provide, not that we'd be perfectly satisfied in absolute terms.

Gotcha.

Is this a matter of "local teachers/admins are fine with this" and "national org, not-so-much?"

We've had that particular problem too. The solution is that you need to involve the highest level LOCAL (state-level) administrator who can deal with national. They'll pay more attention to him/her than to you.

Believe me, at 7yo, we would have thought this was the worst of our problems with our virtual charter school, too...

heheheh... Boy, were we wrong about that. wink But yes, at 7, this was definitely the problem.

The problem is definitely with the local administrators. The teachers are fine with acceleration. The national organization (k12.com) is not involved, and I can't imagine them being involved. They national organization does pay lip service to the idea of gifted education, but it's not getting done properly in the virtual schools.
    https://www.facebook.com/TheFlippedSwitch
    http://www.k12.com/who-we-help/advanced-enrichable-learners

The virtual schools simply should make the courses available as needed, but they are withholding them, for no apparent reason other than to show they can. If anyone can think of a "motivation" for their actions, I'd like some ideas.

M
    M
    22B - did you see that HK modified her post, suggesting that you record 0 for attendance hours because you have no curriculum?

A
    A
    I stopped caring if my kids got good grades when I realized they were not ever going to get a good fit or fair chance at an equal playing field.

I got good at saying with a straight face, "No, that doesn't work for me, so, no, we won't accept that this is the way it is."

I stopped limiting my kids' time on the computer when I realized what he was learning online was a better fit that what he did in school.

I stopped freaking out when a teacher called complaining and stopped always assuming "my kid" was the actual problem.

And I started celebrating and embracing their quirks. They're made just they way they're supposed to be, so to %#%%#} with anyone who thinks of them as weird or needing to be fixed so they fit in,

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM