Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Y
    OP Offline
    Y
    Thanks a lot for everyone’s advice. There is no Charter/Magnet school near here. So I think I should send him to the private school.

Most school don’t accept student for 2013 fall now. But I found one that only has about 50 students (K-8th grade). Low ratio for teacher & students and every student works on their own level. They also offer lots of outdoor activists. I’ll take my son to there next week. See if he likes it or not. And I’ll keep looking.

Polarbear,

Thank you very much for those information. I know WJ-III Achievement tests doesn’t means he is at that level. The psychologist told us that mean he can understand that levels work if he wants to.

Val,

The psychologist thinks we should send him to Mirman School but it is too far for us. LAUSD do have two schools for gifted kids. But we need to live in that area for attend it. We can’t move to there. I think Private school will be the only choice…

C
    C
    I believe one of our two local grade schools is superior to the parochial school we send our son to; the parochial school is much more interested in having the kids do sports than any serious academic work.

Enormously upsetting. The only positive is that parents and kids all get along very well. Supportive environment, although I fear my son will have to be always taking educational supplements.

K
    K
    The librarian stories are quite interesting to read, perhaps I should be thankful for our elementary librarian instead of annoyed! LOl

Our school librarian makes the kids pick out books in their AR (Lexile)range. When my DD8 was in 1st grade she had a 7th grade reading range. She came home from school one day with a book and started asking me questions about the things that were happening in the book that concerned me (dead woman in the woods type stuff). I took the book and read the first chapter and thought that yes, while my daughter can read the book, the content was way too mature for her. I had her return the book and talk to the librarian on her own and then I went in one day and touched base. The Librarian seemed pretty annoyed with me, but honestly, I do think that just because our kids have the ability to do something doesn't mean I want her to lose her innocence or her childhood over it.

Now in 3rd grade, she comes home with books that are a little edgy and I let her read them and we discuss them because I think the two years of maturation have made it easier for me to explain and easier for her to understand.

I guess our librarian is pretty cool, although I didn't think so at the time!! LOL

Y
    OP Offline
    Y
    We went to that school today and my son likes it. The ratio for teacher and student is 1:5 so the kid will have more attention. They can do things on their own level, they have band, art lesson, language lesson will start at 4th grade and field trip every month. Most of kids went to other school when they are in 5th or 6th grade. So there are only about 40 kids at school. Also,the teachers, parents and kids are very nice.

I am just wondering, if he need to go to other school when he is in 5th or 6th grade. Will that be a problem? Because all other private school has bigger class. Usually about 15-20 per class. Will that be hard for him to get used to it?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM