Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I think it was p. 476. I will look for this book at the library or buy it. Looks very interesting.

http://books.google.com/books?id=nenXRtoEfxUC&dq=%22re+forming%22+gifted+education&pg=PP1&ots=lj0gsWfFci&sig=1r7pRF9xO-IhnU3N_Vu5FokrD4Q&hl=en&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fsourceid%3Dnavclient%26ie%3DUTF-8%26rlz%3D1T4DMUS_enUS259US259%26q%3DRE-forming%2BGifted%2BEducation&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title&cad=one-book-with-thumbnail

Questions - sounds like we're in the same sinking boat. smirk Do you have a plan for next year? I apologize if you've written it up already but I'm sleep-deprived at the moment. My 16mth old has a bad cold. Have you/are you considering HSing? Is your district receptive to accommodations? I've not gone to bat so to speak for DS - only dealing with the teacher - but from talking w/ others and GT coordinator, it doesn't seem like I'd get anywhere. The GT coordinator, after having DS in her math pullout (it's only for 8weeks, 1hr/week) said "No wonder he's bored." BUt no help or suggestions...only that she could send something to the teacher for DS to work on in class.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    We are considering HS starting immediately. We have no second grade GT. Nothing until 6th grade, only in class differentiation. We'd like him to try school next year (it's a different school), but aren't optimistic we can even get him to go. No plan. Just panic.

No panic! smile Don't do that! You know you can do this homeschooling thing. You have tons of support, from us! And there really are limitless resources!

Neato

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I think in 6th they do some clustering.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    They used to cluster in second, but did away with it this year b/c "second grade should be about socialization and inclusion, and what do we tell the parents whose children missed the cut-off by one point?"

I must be brain dead, I just realized you started this thread, Questions. Ha Ha Ha. We have official GT starting in 3rd grade but it seems the district is selecting for highly creative kids and may be not selecting for academically gifted kids. That leaves nothing but supposed differentiation which ain't worth the paper it's printed on it seems beyond reading groups.

Our district doesn't even notify the parents of the testing so the parents don't know if the kid missed by 1 point. I only knew about it b/c DS was in GT pullout for math and I have a relationship with the teacher so she told me. I then called the GT coord to get the scores and was told he wasn't creative enough for the program but now they are considering academics.

Hey questions we can HS together virtually in the Fall.
    Dazey

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 05/12/08 02:39 PM.
    It seems like there are quite a few of us right now. At least a lot of people are considering it: 'Neato, squirt, Dazey, Questions, Lorel and me that I know of off the top of my head.

Anyone I missed who is teetering on the brink of homeschool or already firmly declared?

Kriston
    We are all set to homeschool next year. DS5 will also go to a private school 2 afternoons/week for the fun stuff (they do academics in the morning).

LMom
    Kriston - aren't you HSing already? How old is your son again?

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 05/12/08 03:44 PM.
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM