Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 161 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    I apologize in advance if I am in the wrong place. I am new to this forum.

My son was misdiagnosed for several years as having sensory integration disorder and saw a therapist for several years and kicked out of Montessori school because he "refused to behave". We brought him to a neurologist and he was diagnosed ADHD, inattentive type. With the ADHD diagnosis came the public school testing and we were shocked to find a FSIQ of 127. He is on meds and what an incredible world of difference. I would like to see him offered some advanced placement work in school because he is bored and would also like to enroll him in a gifted program. He does however have problems with multitasking and organization. Does anyone know anything about these 2 test scores in relation to his functioning? Thanks.
    What is really puzzling are his scores. Can anyone help me understand why the digit span and coding are so low?

VCI 119 90th percentile
    PRI 135 99th percentile
    WMI 110 75th percentile
    PSI 115 84th percentile
    FSIQ 127 96th percentile

Within Working Memory
    Digit Span 8 25th percentile
    Letter Sequincing 16 98th percentile

Within Processing Speed
    Coding 10 50th percentile
    Symbol Search 15 95th percentile

Hi there and welcome. I'm still wading through the 2E world myself but here are a couple of posts you may want to read over.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ret_low_digit_span_score.html#Post103963

and

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/46560/1.html

My son also had WISC scores so scattered that they couldn't really give me a reliable score. His coding was also really low. All over the map. The scatter and low coding can definitely indicate 2E issues. My son is also in Montessori (1st grade) this year and it's been pretty rough for him. He doesn't complete his work, complains about doing it and that it takes too long. Has a poor attitude, etc. So, we applied to the gifted program at the public school for next year and he got in so that is our next step.

Here is a link to my son's results and the advice I got. Since I posted this, we found out that my son has visual processing issues (he had surgery for strabismus) and sensory integration issues. He did not do as well on any subtests that were timed probably because of his eyes not being able to rapidly focus on the questions.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....s_are_in_gifted_but_slow.html#Post137242

You may also want to check out a book called Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children to see if he really has ADHD. Has he been tested for learning disabilities?

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT
    P
    P
    Welcome griffinsmom - I'll second the suggestion to read the posts that bronalex linked for you smile

I'd also recommend that you ask that the school calculate a GAI in place of the FSIQ - the GAI takes WM and PSI subtests out of the calculation, and is thought to be a more reliable indicator of IQ among high-IQ kids, and it's most definitely used by at least some school districts in place of FSIQ for WISC scores for entry into gifted programs. Our ds has a questionable FSIQ due to a similar pattern of significantly lower PSI and slightly lower WM than his PRI and VIQ (and his PRI and VIQ vary as well)... and his psych reports etc *always* list GAI. He also has difficulty with organization and multi-tasking.

The scatter you see in the scores you posted could indicate an LD, as bronalex mentioned. I am not as familiar with ADHD, but I believe that it's also somewhat typical to see a lower PSI and WM in children with ADHD. Was this testing done before or after your ds went on meds for ADHD? I'm thinking it must have been before (during diagnosis)? If it was before he went on meds, I'd wonder if some of his lower subtest scores might improve now that he's on meds (which seem to be working well)... otoh, I seriously don't know enough about ADHD to even ask that question... just curious smile

You asked if anyone can help you understand why the coding and digit span are so low - the thing to do is to find a description of each subtest to understand the skill being tested and the parameters - how are the questions asked, how is the student expected to respond (handwriting vs oral response etc), and is the test timed. You can then try to think through how that might tie in with observations you've made re your ds, and you'll also likely get a few of us here who will attempt to offer up suggestions re what the scores *might* mean... but the best way to know for sure (imo) is a neuropsych eval - the neuropsych will typically follow up a set of results like this with a secondary set of tests that look at executive functioning, fine motor skills, visual motor integration etc - and it's those tests that can give you the answer *why* are the discrepancies there and why are they so large. I'm wondering if there's any chance your ds might have had some of those type of tests through the neurologist? Did he have testing other than the WISC? And was there any kind of achievement testing? For kids with this type of scatter in IQ subtests, you'll sometimes see scatter with meaningful patterns in achievement subtests too - where the lower scores on the achievement testing correlate with the skills tested in the lower WISC subtest scores.

Last piece of advice - find out everything you can, but don't stress out over what you find. Some children here have that dip in processing speed and working memory and soar through school with no indications of any type of discrepancy. Others clearly have impacts on academics (my ds is one of those students) *but* with knowledge of why the discrepancy is present and understanding how it relates to the difficulties experienced in school, you can most likely find accommodations (and remediation if necessary) that will allow your son to soar in school and will allow him to participate in gifted programs.

Best wishes,

polarbear

M
    M
    One quick thing I learned. We were told digit span was just recall of a list of numbers. (My ds had a similar split in WM.)so, for my ds, the tester told us he found it boring and easy, so he didn't try. Then, the next test is more complex, he did well as your dc did.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM