Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Hello all. We are looking at CTY this summer online. DC will be in 3rd grade in the Fall.

For this grade level there are 3 online options -- math (self paced math which looks like computer based programs without an instructor?); language (Spanish, like math, looks canned); or the Young Readers series, which features an online class with kids and an instructor.

Does anyone have experience with these classes? We would be very grateful for input. Thanks!

G
    G
    CTY math is just EPGY. They do have an instructor but honestly, the teacher adds very little. There is a final exam, and you get a lovely certificate, but at that age, I don't think the extra cost would be worth it -- you can sign up for the same product through an EPGY open enrollment group.

B
    B
    My DS is taking Young Readers right now and he loves it. He has 4 assignments each week: vote in a poll, respond to a question of his choice, create a short blog on a topic of his choice (from pre-determined list), and respond by name to one other student's blog. He loves to see what the other children write back to him.

It is my understanding that the language classes are somewhat "live." I believe you log in at a certain time and either see the teacher or his/her whiteboard. However, I could be wrong. If you decide to enroll in the language, let us know how things turn out. I am thinking about enrolling DS in a language class this fall.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thank you! We are going to do a Young Readers over the summer.

I also just discovered SIG online. Are those classes any good? I am not sure it is really a program with a filter because any child can qualify to participate with a recommendation and the parent can make one or two required.

Even CTY in the younger grades (as my DC is) doesn't seem to hard to qualify. It is more of a bother to take the test. Seems like CTY is more robust after 5th grade.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM