Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    I just went to parent teacher conference, yesterday. I received a list of my daughter's 4th grade spring NWEA scores. I was comparing her scores to the NWEA norms chart, and two of her scores (Math and Science) are not listed. The scores on the chart cap out at 11th grade and the 99th percentile. Her math score was 249 and her science was 232. For reading and language, she seems to be in the 94th and 90th percentile (23 points above goal for reading and 17 points above for language - scores are 229 and 224).

I am also not understanding the NWEA's growth system so if someone could explain her results to me, that would be fantastic. I will list the S.T.GR. first, and then the YR.GR.

Reading: 11, 15
    Language: 7,8
    Math: 20, 17
    (not listed for science because this is the first time they have tested for science)

K
    K
    http://www.nwea.org/sites/www.nwea.org/files/resources/NWEA_Comparative_Data.pdf

Keep in mind this chart is for the beginning of the year grade levels (so Fall testing).

It looks to me that a Math RIT of 249 in Math would put her as a High Achiever for beginning of the year grade 6 and a median achiever for beginning of the year grade 10.

A General Science RIT of 232 would put her very close to being a High Achiever for Grade 9 for beginning of the school year and is off the chart for median achievement.

Student Growth presents the growth in RIT your child has made from the previous fall to the spring of the year in which growth is reported.

Typical Growth is the average growth of students in the most recent NWEA RIT Scale Norms study, who were in the same grade and began the growth comparison period at a similar achievement level.

R
    R
    My son scored exactly the same on his 4th grade Math MAP test :-)
    I found this link to be more useful. Look at Appendix B for the scores chart :
    http://www.nwea.org/sites/www.nwea.org/files/resources/NWEA%202011%20Norms%20Report_01.17.2012_2.pdf

Last edited by rachsr; 05/10/13 06:27 AM.
    One more chart for you. If you click on the range of your DD's scores, you will get an idea of what that score means in terms of what she should know. You can click on the next level to see what she may be ready to learn.

RIT Score

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM