Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    I have to disagree that MOOC's are actually a good measure of college readiness in and of themselves. They may be a reasonably good measure of readiness within a subject for advanced material in that subject-- but they are NOT the kind of synchronous participatory and output-oriented environment that a B&M course is. They have their own challenges, but they aren't directly comparable to the on-campus or hybrid class. (Yes, I've run through a couple of these and so has my DD-- just for fun.) I'd say that the MOOC is a lot more like one of two things--

graduate seminar classes, where most of it is about exploratory learning
    community education classes-- basically no prerequisites, but they aren't really college-level in either critical thinking or in background knowledge expectations, and definitely not in terms of written output demand.

They also don't include the level of graded work that campus classes do-- which is, I suspect, the reason why you (or your DS) may be overlooking the written output demands of conventional college courses.

My DD consistently underestimates it, too-- it's not just you. We know (because of our background) but she doesn't.

If he's open to it, I might have him try an EPGY class or something else using a distance model through one of the big talent search centers such as CTY. He'd meet other HG+/PG kids that way, which is HUGE, and he'd also probably find the challenge a lot closer to what he needs.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    We have not used EGPY at this point, so i can't personally recommend it. But it's plus is that it is a program DESIGNED for the highly gifted child. Regular college classes (especially community college) can be cookbook classes. Very light on the theory, and heavy on memorizing formulas. The biggest downside of EGPY is that it is very expensive & it doesn't provide your son with peers. (That is why I suggested summer programs, there are many around) There does seem to be a way to apply for financial aide, but I don't know how helpful it is.

Good Luck.

A
    AngA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks! Yes. CTY writing courses are excellent. We did a Stanford writing and database course and found them both really enriching for content althought those I did not push for the grade or homework as other classes were occuring concurrently. We will need to try EPGY. I think it is the only one we have not yet done. Excellent!

A
    AngA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Yes. We do use the MIT and other open courseware and find them very useful.

A
    AngA Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you CFK. Someone once told me (when I was a young undergrad) that you should never pay for Grad School. Always get funding. I've found this very good advice that has helped me along the way.

Thanks so much for this discussion. My DS is a bit younger, being 7 years old, however, we will soon find ourselves in these shoes and debating about what to do. So I really do appreciate the tips, articles, and information.

I spoke with a mother who has 4 pg kids! All of them in DYS. Her second child, I believe, is attending a (probably exclusive) prep school on a FULL scholarship ride. She said her DS13 isn't ready for college yet and that the prep school is a 'halfway house' situation for them. After she mentioned this to me, I looked into them for us. We're fortunate that we're in New England where there's prep schools galore and some of which offer free rides to particular candidates.

I don't know where you live, but perhaps a prep school might be an option?

O
    O
    I find myself in complete agreement with HowlerKarma. While you child may be intellectually ready for college, it's highly unlikely that your child has the faintest idea the other skills required to be successful at that level. Is it out of the realm of possibility? Of course not, however, highly unlikely.

Time management skills, computer skills (yes, I know youth are amazing these days but a semester course in MS Office makes a world of difference) leadership skills because there are still plenty of group projects in college, organizational skills, maturity level, social skills, and logistical skills all figure in greatly to the success of today's college student. The vast majority of students admitted to colleges have the intellectual ability to secure the degree they seek, it's the lack of skills I've mentioned in this paragraph that cause more college students to drop out than intellectual capacity.

My suggestion is to exhaust any and all possibilities of acceleration and duel credit options first. Many schools pay for duel credit courses as well. When your child can enter their Freshman year with all or nearly all of their Liberal Arts requirements finished and as well as some or all of their math requirements finished, they can look at double majoring with honors or distinction in 4-5 years.

I caution you on under estimating college. I've know a great many gifted students who cruised through HS and were bored out of their mind, only to feel they were hit like an axe between the eyes when they went to college. For some of them, that emotional trauma sent them in a downward spiral.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM