Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    The hardest to respond to were "so what curriculum were you using at home?"

The noted "play in the mud" curriculum...

DeeDee

The hardest to respond to were "so what curriculum were you using at home?" and "what's so wrong with my kid if we're not being told she has to skip?" Since my gut reaction in both cases was sarcasm, I didn't say much to either question, which was probably best.

LOL-- indeed.

My answer when pressed on this point tends to launch into early childhood educational philosophies in GORY detail (leaving out the part where I was reading all of those research articles and books out of desperation because my kid didn't seem to be doing the things she was SUPPOSED to be doing, and instead seemed to be doing things that were developmentally, well... impossible) ... which generally makes them Very Very Sorry That They Asked by the time their eyes glaze over.

I figure if they are rude and presumptuous enough to demand an answer there, I owe them nothing, and therefore it's totally not my fault if they feel a vague sense of crushing parental guilt for not doing more for their own kids. wink

But that's me. I've just learned that such conversations pretty much never go anywhere good either way. So it's that or say nothing at all, which is generally what I try first.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    The hardest to respond to were "so what curriculum were you using at home?"

The noted "play in the mud" curriculum...

DeeDee

I think that's pretty close to what my actual response was.

Neighbors have told me that it is great to see that my kids are out playing all the time, but that their kids aren't out much because they do well in school. This has been a test of my self restraint.

Last edited by geofizz; 05/06/13 07:57 AM.
    Heheheh... Good for you, Geofizz!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    I think I have purposefully avoided getting to know the other parents much or arranging playdates... one way or another, I don't think we will be together for long.

Yesterday my son went full on anxiety attack/school refusal. It was ugly. I think it was because we'd missed part doses of meds over the weekend and because over the weekend he hit his boiling point on "I never learn anything at school".

I told him I had good news and that they were going to be giving him some chances to do some harder work and see what kind of work he should have for next year. I also told him they would give him a test soon where he could answer some questions and if he didn't know the answer to ask questions or guess. It would be okay not to know some things because he has never been taught them.

I am really hoping we have the anxiety back on track today. He is diagnosed GAD. In talking him down yesterday he had worries from something happening to pets to the stair rail being lose at our house to being tested on 5th grade work and not being able to do it...

H
    OP Offline
    H
    We meet to discuss testing results this week! I'm anxious to see what the school says/recommends. I hear it has been reviewed up to the Superintendent's office. I'm trying to stay calm and remind myself that regardless of the result it can't be worse than where we started.

J
    J
    I'm amazed at everyone's negative experiences here. We just completed the acceleration for our PG DS6. He is moving from first to third- whole grade. The school used the Iowa Acceleration Process as well as an IQ test and of course extensive feedback from us and his first grade teacher. We had a blast doing the whole thing! Our principal was fantastic, as was the entire staff that participated in the process. My son starts his new grade in the fall, and he is super excited. 2nd grade would have been a big fat waste of his time, as we have another PG DS9 that is going into 4th grade next year. 2nd grade was a big waste of his time too! lol

They test them in their own grade and then they plug that into the grade skip above to see how they would perform given how they scored. So for example, In reading and math my son scored 96.9% and 99.9% for a first grader and then 53% and 56% respectively if he were to be in the 3rd grade right now. So, that gave us the impression he would perform quite well given a whole grade acceleration. There are a bunch of other factors they test as well, and in the end you have a scale. The top of the scale is between 60-80 and that is where a whole grade acceleration is recommended and he/she is an excellent candidate. My DS scored a 65 so he was firmly in the zone, so we went for it! Time will tell how we feel about it. We had the opportunity with our older son the prior year, but he is emotionally less stable than our younger son and we felt he would struggle if he accelerated so he is in his right grade and gifted classes, which seems to be perfect for him. Every child is different so make sure you weigh all the pros and cons! Good luck!! smile

Z
    Z
    Yesterday was the last day of school, and we told DS7 that his skip was approved to do third grade next year. When we got home he spent about the whole evening studying material he would miss in second (social studies only small gap there) but time will tell if he actually sticks with handwriting practice. All in all a very positive experience. Since the skip also places him into the full time TD program which doesn't start until third, anticipating he'll stay fired up.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM