Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 161 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 22 of 28 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 27 28
    W
    W
    I was interested in the statistic that 75% of HG were introverted. And since this study looked at professions that attracted the extroverted, what was it showing? That highly intelligent, extroverted people climb the ladder of their choosing?

Just an aside, on the introverted, brilliant: a couple -- he the head, she heads one team under him -- parents from DD's class, have success curing childhood leukemia. And they are very nice people. None of those CEO personality disorders. It was in the NY Times a few weeks ago. Contribution to the world from the HG introverted.

A
    A
    I remember lecturing intermediate microeconomics and teaching the entire year's class in one hour. I made a 4-page handout on how to derive every equation in the course.

Funny, the prof noticed attendance was at a record low that year, but the grades were the highest they'd ever been. Must have been the GT section...

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by DAD22
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    The money issue is why I didn't go to an Ivy League school.

The money issue is why I practically had to. (Many of the Ivy's practice need-blind admissions, and give low SES students enough grant money to make attendance possible.)

Here's another gem.

If you save enough money to actually enable you to retire (which I currently estimate to require saving approximately 35% of gross income every year), you will not receive any assistance from the Ivy League schools because you will be considered to have too many assets.

This is because future financial returns/interest rates have been driven into the gutter.

Last edited by JonLaw; 05/03/13 11:26 AM.
    A
    A

The money issue is why I practically had to. (Many of the Ivy's practice need-blind admissions, and give low SES students enough grant money to make attendance possible.)

Here's another gem.

If you save enough money to actually enable you to retire (which I currently estimate to require saving approximately 35% of gross income every year), you will not receive any assistance from the Ivy League schools because you will be considered to have too many assets.

This is because future financial returns/interest rates have been driven into the gutter.

Buy a car to dilute your perceived assets and get Harvard MBA financing. (See book, "Ahead of the Curve")

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by aquinas

Here's another gem.

Buy a car to dilute your perceived assets and get Harvard MBA financing. (See book, "Ahead of the Curve")

I don't want to own a garage full of Lambroghinis.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Wren
    I was interested in the statistic that 75% of HG were introverted. And since this study looked at professions that attracted the extroverted, what was it showing? That highly intelligent, extroverted people climb the ladder of their choosing?

Just an aside, on the introverted, brilliant: a couple -- he the head, she heads one team under him -- parents from DD's class, have success curing childhood leukemia. And they are very nice people. None of those CEO personality disorders. It was in the NY Times a few weeks ago. Contribution to the world from the HG introverted.

Thanks, Wren! I've known many introverted scientists who also fit this model. They are definitely not commonly associated with the particular types of success noted in the OP, but the ones I've known all seem to be pretty passionate about what they do, and many of them don't regret not owning Lamborghinis any more than Jon seems to. wink In all seriousness, the world is probably a MUCH better place for the HG introverts in it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OP Offline
    Jon, this is why our plan involves spending it all on imported mineral water and cheeses (we aren't much for drinking), hoarding related to our many hobbies (since loose women also don't interest us), and musical instruments and lessons for ourselves.

That way there IS no "asset pool" to draw from. Ta Da!

I suppose that Italian sports cars or the purchase of a run-down historic home would also accomplish the same goals. But we don't really have the necessary interest, I fear. If only there were something more than me not working that were feasible regarding our unfortunately high household income... {sigh}

Oh, and about retirement. Well, I've talked about that plan elsewhere.

I'll just have to swear you all to secrecy when the FBI most-wanted posters start cropping up with monkeys on them.

grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Z
    Z
    Hmm, given the heavy overlap between introversion and highly gifted, and that there is a strong correlation between being introverted and being intrinsically motivated, and that scores (SAT, income, car brand, etc.) and grades are extrinsic motivations, I see a lot of interesting questions to research.

U
    U
    In all seriousness, the world is probably a MUCH better place for the HG introverts in it.

I agree. And plenty of them are not making "handsome six-figure salaries," or whatever the article mentioned.

While I'd certainly agree that some of the extroverted brilliant CEO types are bringing value to society, it's a mixed bag.

A highly intelligent person working in the nonprofit sector, science, journalism, government, library science, academia, or the arts (to name a few of the careers of my friends) can contribute a great deal, but they don't really appear in this piece about BILLIONAIRE POWERRRRRR.

L
    L
    Since Zenscanner approved sharing of personal anecdote, here is one. One my close relatives is a CFO of a very well known corporation. He is extremely driven and works very hard. He also knows how to schmooze to climb up the corporate ladder. He is financially very well off, a millionaire power, if you will. However, his iq, if I have to guess, is probably close to 110. He has limited creativity and cannot engage in intellectual conversations just for the sake of it. No bottom line, no talks. I have met his friends in various other high positions as well and omg, I want to run away as soon as I see one of them. I much enjoy my conversations with my poorer, high iq friends, that just decided to use their one life to help the world instead of make more money for the billionaires.

Page 22 of 28 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 27 28

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM