Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 21 of 28 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 27 28
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    It's because it predicts first year RETENTION so well.

Well, yeah.

Because if you have a high SAT score, you don't have to attend class the first year to pass all of the examinations.

Of course you're going to stay in college until year 2 at least.

Z
    Z
    Making the SAT to IQ leap has to be flawed by the very intent and design of the SAT test. The SAT is designed to predict college performance. Questions, difficulty, etc. are selected to optimize that correlation.

Who most succeeds their freshman year?
    I would suggest: The students who come from a culture of education. Students who learned how to study,how to double-check their answers, ones who aren't worried about how they are paying for school, etc. Those who are driven, etc. SAT should be selecting for high drive students with good work habits. It is another reason that some segment of the gifted population (and the higher you go the worse it can be) don't max out, they don't have the drive or past experience to work their hardest.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    It's because it predicts first year RETENTION so well.

Well, yeah.

Because if you have a high SAT score, you don't have to attend class the first year to pass all of the examinations.

Of course you're going to stay in college until year 2 at least.

ROFL. I'd (once I stop laughing so hard) also respectfully suggest that (as Zen Scanner has also stated above) that there is a second group which is simply determined and hard-working and all that.

But sure. BTW, college mathematics courses should NEVER be offered at 8 am. Just noting that. blush No reason.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Z
    Z
    Yea, I seemed to both in timing and content overlapped what I was writing with what HK was saying.

Btw, I didn't return my second year to my elite university, not for grades, but for socio-economic reasons. And not that we were working poor, but with no college anywhere with my direct ancestors there was no planning for college costs. Maybe the SAT could've predicted that as the three math problems I missed would've been caught if I had checked my work.

That I spent more time with Titan, Talisman, Bridge, etc. than I did studying or attending class had nothing to do with the outcome. I do regret that I didn't learn more of the bidding conventions of bridge.

A
    A
    From the Board Rules,

"Before posting, use the Search function. It is likely that your question or something similar to your question has been asked before. The Search function will allow you to see whether your question has already been addressed."

I would hazard to say that the topic of correlation between IQ/IQ proxies and economic status has been discussed exhaustively of late. Can we please put this recurring theme to rest?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    OP Offline
    I do regret that I didn't learn more of the bidding conventions of bridge.

Cribbage. LOTS of coffee-- I had a 32 ounce coffee mug that glowed in the dark. Seriously. A refill was .25c, and that was often "lunch" at school.

And chain-smoking while waiting for the bus. That's what I remember most about my first two years in college. Well, and worrying about money.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    From the Board Rules,

"Before posting, use the Search function. It is likely that your question or something similar to your question has been asked before. The Search function will allow you to see whether your question has already been addressed."

I would hazard to say that the topic of correlation between IQ/IQ proxies and economic status has been discussed exhaustively of late. Can we please put this recurring theme to rest?

I didn't notice a question, though.

wink Maybe I missed it?

I'd hazard a guess that it's just an interesting topic that relates to other GT topics and because of the undercurrent of political ideology under policy-making surrounding the issues, there is a fear that Mark might shut down any of the threads without warning...

ergo more threads increases the survival odds for the conversation(s).

It's the same strategy that rodents and cockroaches use to ensure survival, so I don't know that it makes us especially clever, mind...

whistle

{yes, tongue firmly in cheek here}

And chain-smoking while waiting for the bus. That's what I remember most about my first two years in college. Well, and worrying about money.

The money issue is why I didn't go to an Ivy League school.

I mean, my choice was between "make a profit from scholarships in an area in which I had no interest, but could use the money for computer games and pizza" versus "take out $25,000" in loans.

Eventually, I figured out that if I slept too long, I would remain tired and go to bed early.

That was pretty odd and I never did figure out why I get too tired if I have too much sleep.

Z
    Z
    This thread will now unofficially serve as the lounge for the other thread. Feel free to kick off your sandals, put your feet up, and share personal anecdotal GT research relating to walking seven miles uphill both ways to college.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    The money issue is why I didn't go to an Ivy League school.

The money issue is why I practically had to. (Many of the Ivy's practice need-blind admissions, and give poor students enough grant money to make attendance possible.)

Last edited by DAD22; 05/03/13 11:20 AM.
    Page 21 of 28 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 27 28

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM