Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by CCN
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I'm sorry to rain on the parade, but some things don't sound right here. What does it mean to "practice concepts"? It makes sense to "practice methods (or algorithms)" and it makes sense to "understand concepts".

Also it is concerning when you say "we go back to previously learned concepts it appears that he has forgotten how to use them". Why does this happen?

I'm concerned that the approach to mathematics may be wrong, and that there may be too much rushing ahead without a solid foundation.

Right... exactly. Wouldn't the solid foundation come from solving multiple equations/problems using the already understood concepts until they're embedded in memory? But when your 7 year old isn't fond of repetition, this becomes an onerous kill-the-joy task that dissuades the kid from wanting to do more math, and as a parent you don't want that, so you teach him whatever he's curious about, and not worry too much about him remembering because it's way above grade level anyway, but then a year later when he's forgotten you wonder if you did the right thing by not "drilling & killing" ...

(Not that I have any experience with that wink ) <---sarcasm, in case anyone missed it!!

It's so hard to know what the right thing to do is.

What I mean is that a concept should be understood in the context of related topics. It should not be an isolated topic.

Of course it's okay for a kid to explore ahead of their level, but there needs to be a plan to make sure the curriculum is fully covered so there eventually are no gaps.

Z
    Z
    Working from the answer makes sense. That is an interesting way to engage the top down thinker. I think a lot of the pushing forward is to find the big concept buckets to put other things under. In that way, needed topics being missed isn't relevant, because by their very nature when they hit a topic where they are missing requisite knowledge the drive to backfill to move forward is likely stronger and more effective than trying to teach it in a typical linear and bottom up approach that most people need.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Wren - we used EPGY in the past and so it is interesting to hear that CTY is now different. Zen Scanner - you have beautifully summarized how I feel my son thinks - thank you smile
    Today we bought him a scientific calculator with graphing capabilities. He spent hours looking at it and being very excited about it. I feel this is just like giving him the solutions to make him then work on the steps - having this type of calculator will give him some big picture ideas/ topics and will also make him look at the steps as sometimes I feel that he believes a computer class (like Art of Problem Solving) / calculator more than if mom or dad write it out on paper wink.

D
    D
    Wren--we're (still) using EPGY, but I had considered CTY and chosen EPGY instead mainly because at the time they were supposed to be similar except that EPGY offered a Stanford transcript, which they have since stopped doing. I'm curious--how has the CTY format changed?

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Licorice26
    Zen Scanner - you have beautifully summarized how I feel my son thinks - thank you smile
    Quite welcome, though I may have skipped to the back of the book a bit as that's my M.O., too.

DS7 got his allowance yesterday and ten minutes later he is giving it back to buy a math reference app on the iPad.

W
    W
    They have this drop down menu. In a topic, there are video lectures. Then they have problem sheets (quizzes) that you do online.

There are worksheets you can print out and practice, but so far there hasn't been the need. Then you do the chapter test on line.

In EPGY, it seemed you did geometry, then multiplication, and it was all mixed up and sometimes the lecture came after.

And I find the curriculum builds on the previous in the new format. Now this is grade 5. I do not know what is still lower. I commented on the new format to the tutor and she said that it was for grade 5 and beyond. But her wording may have indicated that DD would now have this format or it was all changed.

D
    D
    Thanks, Wren! That setup does sound a little better in some ways; it would be great to be able to print out practice sheets, but as far as I know on EPGY there's only a practice test at the end of the course you can really do that with. DD has been bothered by what you mention that sometimes in EPGY the lecture comes after problems that use a new technique that is taught in that lecture. I think that might work to encourage independent thought in a setting with a helpful and positive tutor, but it doesn't work very well the way it is presented in EPGY and DD has been very frustrated by it although now she recognizes it is the way EPGY is sometimes. We might take a look at CTY but there's always an issue switching between curricula of missing subjects or redoing them, I guess. Thanks though for mentioning CTY has changed at least some things; that might make it more useful for some kids. smile

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by CCN
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I'm sorry to rain on the parade, but some things don't sound right here. What does it mean to "practice concepts"? It makes sense to "practice methods (or algorithms)" and it makes sense to "understand concepts".

Also it is concerning when you say "we go back to previously learned concepts it appears that he has forgotten how to use them". Why does this happen?

I'm concerned that the approach to mathematics may be wrong, and that there may be too much rushing ahead without a solid foundation.

Right... exactly. Wouldn't the solid foundation come from solving multiple equations/problems using the already understood concepts until they're embedded in memory? But when your 7 year old isn't fond of repetition, this becomes an onerous kill-the-joy task that dissuades the kid from wanting to do more math, and as a parent you don't want that, so you teach him whatever he's curious about, and not worry too much about him remembering because it's way above grade level anyway, but then a year later when he's forgotten you wonder if you did the right thing by not "drilling & killing" ...

(Not that I have any experience with that wink ) <---sarcasm, in case anyone missed it!!

It's so hard to know what the right thing to do is.

What is "drilling & killing"? (When I Google I get something about Nigerian oil.)

C
    C
    Drill & kill = drill (practice techniques) and kill the enthusiasm.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Drill & kill = drill (practice techniques) and kill the enthusiasm.

Okay, I see. But if this is happening, then something has already gone wrong. Excessive repetitive practice of routine problems based on isolated topics is never going to make up for a lack of understanding of a broad range of topics and their interconnections.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM