Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #155331 05/02/13 08:42 AM
    OP Offline
    DD9 finally admitted that the work she is doing in 3rd grade is just too easy and she would really like some harder work, especially in math. Her regular class just now started working on division and the last I heard, she was working on some basic algebra concepts with the gifted teacher. The gifted teacher said she was doing very well with what they were working on together and DD was picking things up quickly.

Could someone tell me if there is an online math program that allows the child to work at their own pace and continue moving up through the grade levels as they go? For example - we could start DD in 4th grade math as review, but she could end up in pre-algebra by the time she has topped out at her actual level without paying for another class or any additional fees except for the initial fee for the class/program.

We don't want to stick DD in a class/program that we think is at her level just to find out she can do more advanced work and we don't want to jump her up to a higher level only to find out she just isn't there yet. For us it would be a better option if she could just go as far as she can without any restrictions.

I've gone back through some older posts thinking I had seen something about a program like this, but now I can't find what I'm looking for.

We would also be interested in a language arts program that works like this if anyone knows of one of those.

M
    M
    I believe there's an epgy open enrollment group that someone here facilitates. That's what we're considering, for the same reasons. (The OE groups are a fraction of the cost of EPGY and use the same self-paced software, just without the input from a Stanford tutor, if my understanding is correct.)

The open enrollment would also include language arts. I'll be following to see what others say. Our ds is 6, so new to this!

If you just want a quick way to have an idea what level she probably NEEDS, you could have her work through some of the Khan Academy videos and quizzes.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
    Could someone tell me if there is an online math program that allows the child to work at their own pace and continue moving up through the grade levels as they go? For example - we could start DD in 4th grade math as review, but she could end up in pre-algebra by the time she has topped out at her actual level without paying for another class or any additional fees except for the initial fee for the class/program.

EPGY does this, and has an entry evaluation test that can help you figure out what level to start at, although IIRC I also looked through the topics covered in each course to figure out where to start. I think she ended up starting in a course a couple of grade levels above her actual grade, but she moved through that quickly--now that she is in a more challenging course, her progress has definitely slowed down. The only thing about EPGY (other than the occasional bugs) is that it is not cheap; you pay by the quarter (for example, $495 for a 3-month interval) and if you finish a course during that time you can go ahead to the next one. I think with some of the early courses it can be open enrollment, but with I think starting with 6th grade math and up that isn't an option online and you have to sign up for the more expensive tutor-included option, even if you never use the tutor. Here's a chart from Davidson comparing different options: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10642.aspx

I have heard people speak favorably about Aleks and AOPS (Art of Problem Solving) but have not tried them. One of the main reasons we initially chose EPGY is that they offered a Stanford transcript that I think would have said pass/fail, but being a "Stanford transcript" in theory might have helped a school be inclined to give DD credit. This may or may not have been the case, but regardless they did away with that and now just do certificates of completion or something. I guess it doesn't really matter because I assume any school would want her to take their own test to determine placement.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by Dbat; 05/02/13 10:03 AM.
    OP Offline
    Thanks mama2three, HowlerKarma, and Dbat!

I thought maybe EPGY did this but just couldn't find the right post on here. Does anyone know if we can start the EPGY OE classes at any time or is there a certain "enrollment" period?

I also think I signed up for a Khan Academy account a long time ago when it first started getting popular. I just looked it over at that time and I haven't tinkered around on there since then. I don't think either one of my daughters have been on it at all, that I know of. The weather is supposed to be nasty here this weekend, so maybe I can get DD on there to see how she likes it.

D
    D
    Sorry, I don't know the rules for open enrollment, but I do remember it was a little difficult getting the information I needed on their website, so I called them. The people in the office were helpful, if not exactly chatty.

Not that it necessarily applies to OE, but for the tutor-included courses we had to start at the beginning of a month even though there's no set schedule for moving up once you finish a course, which seems inconsistent--maybe it just simplifies their billing or something. But their system does have some little quirks like that (that fortunately are infrequent, so don't be too put off by that alone).

Last edited by Dbat; 05/02/13 10:55 AM.
    C
    C
    Just to confirm, ALEKS also works like this. You pay for a time period and can only be enrolled in, and have access to, one class at a time, but you can move up whenever you need to.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    M
    Here's a thread from the fall. Looks like melmichigan coordinates an OE program. I believe you can start anytime, but I'd pm melmichigan or look at the oe online pages. You pay for 10 mos and can progress as needed. I believe it's k-7 curriculum... After that you would need to do the pricier option if you continued w epgy.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/142245/2.html

Thanks, dbat for that comparison link!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM