Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Just trying to figure out a plan B for the near future for DS4.5 and for DS3 as well. How does it work if you basically skip grades while homeschooling and then you want the child to go back into public school? Does the school go by age? Do they consider the grade that you have the child in as a homeschooler? Do they do some kind of entrance testing?

DS4.5 will got K in the Fall but should we end up pulling him out, we'd most likely just do couple weeks of catchup on K curriculum (mainly writing as I'm assuming he'll be a decent reader by then seeing his budding interest in reading now) and then we'd finish K doing 1st grade curriculum. At which point if we wanted him back in the public school system he would be ideally entering as a 2nd grader (with the one year skipped doing K and 1st all at once). Would this work? From what I know K in Illinois is NOT mandatory but you cannot enter 1st grade early. He'll just turn 5 couple days before Kinder starts. So if we homeschool K and 1st and skip him that way to 2nd it should work, right? Or am I missing something? (or even if this would happen a year later, going to 3rd when he should be entering 2nd based on his age)? We would only consider the skip if we felt he's ready for it emotionally since he'll be already the youngest in his class given the age cutoff, so skipping a year he'd end up being 2 years younger than many of his classmates.

Is this reasonable? Same thing for DS3.5 if he's ever ready to enter public school system, which at this point he is not but if he will be, we need to have a plan figure out. Especially for him since he's the big brain of the family at least for now.

Does the school go by age? Do they consider the grade that you have the child in as a homeschooler? Do they do some kind of entrance testing?

Could be any/all of those things.

We certainly used a combination to gain DD6 into 3rd grade.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    The only age requirements that I found in terms of actual state law were regarding the 1st grade entry so I am hoping we could get away with our little plan if needed. At that point we'd probably have some testing done and would have that to back us up anyways. So I am really hoping this plan would work out for us.

Little off topic but I just had a memory flash back to when I first came to the US as an exchange student in high school, was to spend my junior year here and when they tried to place me in math class, turned out I'd already had everything they could offer me back in middle school (I went to science and math middle school 5-8th grade). Now, granted, it was a huge school but one of the absolute worst in the country at the time and probably still so there weren't that many math class offerings to choose from. Since I was here just for 1 year, they didn't really care if I was meeting graduation requirements so in the end they gave up and let me have choir instead of math! lol Then I went back home and had to take 10 different exams that covered everything taken during my junior year back home if I wanted to keep going with my class and not be left a year behind, so I guess I skipped / tested out of my junior year there and had a ton of fun here! smile

I'd love to ask about the whole grade skip possibility at the school DS4.5 will be attending but I just feel awkward asking them about something like this when he's not even enrolled in school yet?

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    hmm, I just went through some information the county education board has on it's website and they have a registration form there (which is voluntary) and they want a grade on there. So one of the things would probably be NOT registering him to keep our options open as to our homeschool grade placement!

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by master of none
    In our district, you must register for age grade no matter what you were doing in homeschool. And then the principal might move you from there.

In fact I pulled dd out after a double skip and wanted to undo one of the skips. She had completed 5th grade. So, I wanted to register for 6th after a gap year. The rules said I had to register for 5th grade. I had to use their policies pertaining to retaining a child in order to get them to let her go to 6th. It was not easy or stress free by any means.

We are probably the extreme and it does vary state by state and district by district.

wow! Now that would get me banging my head against the wall really fast!

Originally Posted by master of none
    In our district, you must register for age grade no matter what you were doing in homeschool. And then the principal might move you from there.

Our school district's policy says the same thing. However, I have it anecdotally from another parent that they homeschooled a year ahead, then registered their child at the new grade level for public school the following year, and the school accepted her child at the grade they said.

This is not the first time this district has failed to make policy and reality look alike. It's just the first time it erred in our favor.

We are in the process of doing this very thing. We pulled DD out of 2nd grade, identified/addressed all the gaps the school had created, and then began teaching her through a 3rd grade level. She has taken the statewide assessment test given to 3rd graders, which we intend to use as ammunition should she decide she wants to give school another shot at 4th grade next year.

P
    P
    Most stories I have heard suggest the child would be put at age level. I'm not saying it can't be done but it is unlikely to be as smooth as you hope.

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Most stories I have heard suggest the child would be put at age level. I'm not saying it can't be done but it is unlikely to be as smooth as you hope.

so, basically we should have testing done to back us up with and be ready for school to test them if they choose to.

P
    P
    Great question! Just yesterday, I was wondering this myself, as I can see that DS needs more people around him. I would like him to go straight to second passing K and first. But I was thinking the odds of that happening are slim to none. I think, but without really looking much into it, I am stuck in some sort of homeschooling for good, and I will just have to search extra hard for social activities on a daily basis. (I did email a private school about it, but haven't heard back if they would even consider it. Just trying to keep options open.)

Originally Posted by Mk13
    Originally Posted by puffin

so, basically we should have testing done to back us up with and be ready for school to test them if they choose to.

YES.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM