Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 223 of 268 1 2 221 222 223 224 225 267 268
    A couple of straight-up brags on my DD this week:

1. Recently one of her rifle coaches was chatting with her and her dad at the weekly meetup after practice, you know, just kind of socializing and shooting the breeze. Apparently the subject of college and academics, and music, etc. etc. had come up. When DD had gone up to the counter to get another refill on her soda, the coach turned to my DH and asked-- amazed-- Is there ANYTHING that she isn't great at?? It was a serious and kind of awestruck question. This person (at the time) had no idea that she is only 14, making it even more of a brag. He thought she was a 17yo.

2. APUSH. DD opted to sign up for semester B once she dropped the mess of Precalc (which was a total stinker of a class), freeing up some extra time. Yes, she already has 2 AP classes. Yes, it's 4 weeks into the new term... Yes, it's the second semester. DD just shrugged. And smiled. Five days later, she's made up the first three weeks of the class (while keeping up with everything else just fine, tyvm) and earning 100% on everything she's turned in. She hasn't mentioned this one to her friends (some of them MG-HG) who have been slogging through this with a great deal of difficulty and angst. So here is about the only place that I can talk about this. She's ENJOYING this. She loves the written analysis and the references to original source literature, etc. LOVES the amount of reading to support the inferential learning. LOVE-LOVE-LOVE.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    HK, Just read your brags. Truly amazing! What a girl!

Here is what I came to post:
    DD4.5 asked my cousin to give her a challenging math problem. Cousin asked," I need a week's supply of wood and I burn 1 log every hour. How much wood do I need?" DD4.5, without hesitation, wrote 24 x 7 on a piece of paper, and then proceeded to do the math in her head. Few seconds later, she writes 28 + 140 on the paper immediately followed by 168. Hands paper to jaw-dropped cousin and says," here you go. You are going to be spending a lot of money on wood."

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Me: What are you doing?

DS7: I found a stock with a small market cap. I am trying to buy the majority of the stock in my account so I can control the supply. If I control the supply, I should be able to control the price. WHY IS THIS NOT WORKING!!!

Thank goodness this was in a PAPER trade account. Insert discussion on trading laws. Insert discussion on how the paper trade account is not linked to the real exchange.

Reminded me of Dude.

I am DELIGHTED he's catching on so well! Awesome brag, Portia.

You could talk to him about the flip side of price control for a small market cap firm, which is illiquidity (if the market for the stock is a thinly traded market).

I don't know if you're in the market for financial analytics web-based software, but I bet your DS would love Capital IQ. Short of a Bloomberg terminal, it offers a lot of valuable data. He can access analyst reports, comps, financial statements, filter by a number of variables there. He'd have access to firm betas, which could help him build an efficient frontier in his paper trade account.

Actually, I'll PM you regarding Capital IQ.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    My first brag... glad I have somewhere to talk about this:

The whole family was at the dentist yesterday. DD11 got done first (nicer teeth, I guess) and I heard the hygienist ask if she wanted to sit with DH or I or wait in the waiting room. She opted to wait... but instead of staying in the waiting room, she took it upon herself to walk over to our local veterinarian's office (same strip mall, other end). There she presented herself to the staff and asked about volunteering. When they said they usually offer a program through schools, she told them she was a home schooler and should be able to volunteer directly. She left her email and number. Then she returned to the dentist.

When we heard about this (on the way home, we wouldn't have been the wiser) I decided to call the vet and just let them know that, yes, we'd approve of her helping out. They said she'd been perfectly lovely and very mature.

Today I see an email to her (I get a copy of her incoming mail as the postmaster of our own domain) from the office saying that shadowing a vet requires being 16 (liability insurance) and to give them a call. I decide to call the office and chat with them.

The receptionist indicates that the office manager is on the phone... with my daughter. She then lets me know that DD and the office manager have sorted it all out, they are aware that she's 11, and that she doesn't need to talk to me. I think her quote was "if she's mature enough to come in on her own, I think she's mature enough to arrange something with us."

I just said "well, I guess she really doesn't need me on this one" and we both had a bit of a laugh. Just as I hang up the phone rings and it's my daughter, wanting to know if she's free on Saturday because she's going to interview the vet and write a paper. My response "you can always check the calendar on your phone, but yes you are free and we will drive you." I left it to her to call the vet back.

I guess we're lucky she didn't just make the appt without asking and take the bus or something. Part of me wants to scold, but how can I?

A
    A
    I think that's terrific initiative, Ivy. Lovely brag!

DD got it!!

She was just awarded one of 65 Presidential scholarships (4-year, full tuition, renewable-- MERIT based) at her University!!

She's almost certainly the youngest person to ever be awarded this scholarship (she's 14-- will be just turned 15 when she begins next fall).

I'm really, really, REALLY elated for her. cool

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    Congratulations HK. Great news!!!

A
    A
    Wonderful HK!!! Definitely brag-worthy and well deserved! Wishing your daughter every success and happiness as she embarks on this next chapter of her growth.

Amazing HK!! Congratulations! How proud you must be, not only because of this accomplishment, but having such a well balanced teenaged girl with such love for learning. Your guidance have led her to this place in her life. You are an inspiration!

E
    E
    Amazing accomplishment!!! Well done... both of you ;-)

Page 223 of 268 1 2 221 222 223 224 225 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM