Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 13 of 28 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 27 28
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    It's usually not just one book. My friend's kid lost her privledges because she lost five books. That's $30 even at the thrifty rate. And she's a reader. The kid reads books. But, for now she has lost her access to the library. What I'm describing is the grey area in between.
    Here, people work. They are employed (oilfield). They are not well educated and many have large families starting as teenagers. Everybody has food in their belly and there's no homeless children. Two years ago less than half of the kids passed the math standards test for the year. They raised it to over 90% by afterschool tutoring at the school. That's probably waaay TMI, but these articles always leave it out that not everybody is going to college, or even thinks much of it. If the system is getting easier to "game" maybe it's getting better at sorting the people who want an education from those who don't. And from what everybody says there's not enough seats in the good schools for people who want theid kids to have a good education. Why not try to make the schools fit the peoples needs in stead of trying to make the people fit one idea of "a good education".
    If a kid lives in the ghetto you need to make his school a safe haven and teach basic literacy. If a kid lives in the oilfield you need to teach him votech in case he doesn't finish school he has something to fall back on. If too many people are hyperfocused on gaming the system it's because you need to build more good schools in those neighborhoods.

Nodding my head yes in agreement with you.

I've seen more than my share of kids who had no real business in college.... and grew up with a fair number who went to work in the mills or the woods rather than finish high school.

Where are the options for THOSE kids?

Should we say that they "don't care about education?" I think that wrongly labels them as clods when the reality is that they may just not care about THAT KIND of education.

Frustrating.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    OP Offline
    If you're talking about taxes and social services you're talking about much more than just the school system.

Children don't just exist in a vacuum until they show up at school.

That's the real meaning that I think we can all agree upon.

What to DO about it remains elusive, and I think we're just discussing why that is.

Also-- what DOES that mean in terms of ignoring gifted children's needs?

A
    A
    If you're talking about taxes and social services you're talking about much more than just the school system.

I don't see how anything less than a fully integrated policy suite achieves any of the desired goals of a well functioning education system.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I just brought it up because threads are really never locked here, but when they are it's because the conversation got too broad beyond the topic of gifted needsz

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    although I guess thinking about the state of the world's problems feels like a gifted responsibility.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    yes. a well functioning education system would definately meet all the gifted kids needs better. i vote yes!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma

Children don't just exist in a vacuum until they show up at school.

That's the real meaning that I think we can all agree upon.

What to DO about it remains elusive, and I think we're just discussing why that is.

Also-- what DOES that mean in terms of ignoring gifted children's needs?

I just find it hysterical that we daily read here about the struggles that ivy-league graduate, PG parents, who have food security and live in safe neighborhoods and can take time from work to meet with schools have getting their gifted kids an appropriate education but if parents with a high school degree living in poverty struggle some believe it is because they have inferior values and are lazy.

edited for typos

Last edited by deacongirl; 05/01/13 11:24 AM.
    OP Offline
    In all seriousness, that IS why I brought it up in the first place. It is very troubling to me that there is just more and more and more evidence supporting the idea that the school system itself is meeting NOBODY's needs very well, and that those of higher SES just have the means to do something about it for their own children.

But that is leaving an awful lot of real talent behind, I fear.

frown

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    I just find it hysterical that we daily read here about the struggles that ivy-league graduate, PG parents, who have food security and live in safe neighborhoods and can take time from work to meet with schools have getting their gifted kids an appropriate education but if parents with a high school degree living in poverty struggle some believe it is because they have inferior values and are lazy.

I don't think anyone made that claim.

Originally Posted by deacongirl

+1

Page 13 of 28 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 27 28

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM