Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 215 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
    C
    C
    Just a few glasses of wine, that's about it.

I don't think I should have made that a personal question, calizephyr. What I really should have said was, do you think fetal alcohol syndrome is a big enough of a concern for pregnant women to abstain or drink minimumly? If so, why is it a concern?

Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    10% increase in IQ if you dance or walk with them daily. (So they get the rhytmic movement).
    I read that and my first thought was, "wow! finally an explanation for a purpose behind a baby getting colic!" Can you tell I've dealt with some colicky babies??!!

Lots of colicy babyies are GT - Oh those overexcitabilities! And they are also quick to want new stimuli, and many will complain loudly until they get what they want. DS11 wasn't colicy.

Here's a term for this discussion: "Regression toward the mean" it means that if the parents are unusual, then the child would tend to be 'less unusual' just by chance alone.

Here's another term: Contingency. All the 'Baby Einstien' videos are weird because they can't replace 'Someone taking an interest.' All kinds of creatures who are placed in environment were someone responds to them will thrive more. Even plants grow better when you talk to them, right? So it isn't flashcards, or even Zoo trips - it's 'someone taking an interest.'

Of course I 'would' think that Communication is what it's all about, wouldn't I?

I believe that there isn't actually any kind of important seperation between any living creatures. I think that the more a child spends time with others who are 'in touch' with that perspective, the better chance they have of 'being who they were meant to be.'

I worked part time from 7 weeks. I think of myself as a Feminist who believes that we need to value parenting equal to all the other jobs. The point is for women to have reasonable choices, as each woman is individual and has her own strengths and challenges. I think it was very hard on my DS to be with agemates in daycare, but that's another topic, isn't it?

((Big Smiles))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I so agree with everything you said, Grin. 100%!!!

Right on!

Kriston
    I neglected to respond to this, squirt. Sorry. And since I think we're really in total agreement, I thought I should go back and catch up...

Originally Posted by squirt
    You're right babies need love and affection and daily interaction with adults, nothing fancy, but there has to be more interaction than just feeding and changing the diaper and letting the kid watch TV or sit in a crib ALL day. Many, certainly not all, but many kids do not get that interaction at day-care.

Agreed. Wholeheartedly. That's why I made the point that there's good daycare and bad daycare. Good childcare involves all the sorts of positive, healthy interactions that you're talking about here, which are so vital. Bad childcare is often just human warehousing, and it's bad for kids. It's why I think we need to push for more affordable and high-quality childcare in this country--to put an end to the warehouses.

My point is that it's BAD INTERACTIONS that make some daycare bad; it's not ALL daycare that's bad! It is entirely possible to have daycare that is quite good for the child, possibly even exposing the child to experiences and opportunities the child wouldn't have gotten at home.

Originally Posted by squirt
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I do think that building a foundation through interaction and movement and exposure is important.

It's a good horse, so beat away. wink The part I was taking issue with was the exact correlation stuff. Human interaction and movement (and breastfeeding!) are good for babies. No argument here. But doing these things does not guarantee some certain number of IQ points magically appearing on the child's first IQ test.

Am I being clearer now? I hate to seem to be arguing with people I actually agree with! wink

Kriston
    Isa Offline
    Originally Posted by Ania
    Originally Posted by Wren
    I was at a school/family party on Saturday. Talking with mother (astrophysicist, husband/father is a PhD in physics) about son, who is 2 months older than DD. She said that she has not observed anything that would be considered gifted. She happens to know another astrophysicist that I know, whose husband is also a PhD in Physics whose DS is 2 months younger than DD. I do not consider that boy to exhibit any unusual gifted tendencies.

Admittedly, I did not read the entire thread but this first post troubles me a lot.
    Why are you making an assumption that since parents are physicists/astrophysicist/phd - their children are somehow expected to be "gifted" ?????

I have a PhD in astrophysics and have work several years in research, so I know the environment pretty well. And yes, I would expect giftedness to be high in the children of my former colleagues. I have met several people that would certainly score at level 5+, PG or whatever name you want.
    Not everybody in the field is that bright, but the average IQ is certainly high.

On the other hand, I never considerd myself 'gifted'.... Intelligent? yes. Gifted? nope!

sounds like a little case of gifted denial, if you ask me.

Don't be mad!

I was thinking the same thing. laugh

(But I still say that HG+ parents can have ND kids and ND parents can have HG+ kids. No guarantees!)

Kriston
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Miraca Gross's book Exceptionally Gifted Children has a section on education level of parents of the students in the study. Much higher percentage of highly educated parents than general population. Wouldn't you think that most people who pursue PhDs are above average IQ or gifted?

Last edited by cym; 05/07/08 03:52 PM.
    C
    cym Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    (But I still say that HG+ parents can have ND kids and ND parents can have HG+ kids. No guarantees!)

Absolutely.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM