Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #15441 05/07/08 10:25 AM
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline

We're finally back from a loooong overseas trip. Not sure I recommend 17+ hour flights with a 2yo and 5yo. crazy

We had one of those "cool story" moments during the trip. DS5's grandfather was telling him about square roots (he knows his squares to 12 and cubes through 6). After going over it a few times, DS gets the concept that a square root is an inverse function of squares. Pretty neat. At any rate, the next morning, DS wakes up and immediately proclaims "the cube root of 27 is 3!" (We hadn't talked about cube roots)

Anyhoo we're back in the states and we've initiated a dialog with the school. We'll see where that goes and what they suggest. One way or another we plan on getting DS5 tested. (See the thread on skipping Kindergarten)

DS is a pretty good reader, but probably even more advanced mathematically. Most of what he's picked up he has picked up over dinner conversations about Math. He has a relatively insatiable appetite for numbers and patterns (absolutely fascinated with factorials and Fiboncci sequence numbers). We have some of the popular books like G is for Googol and the Greedy Triangle. What would be helpful is suggestions on what topics might be fun for the mathematically inclined child. Loves big numbers, starting to learn fractions, has place-value down pat (although refuses to do anything with carry over!), and so on. This is more on the recreational side as opposed to formal home schooling.

Thanks in advance...

JB

May I suggest Penrose the Mathematical Cat? There are lots of fun, recreational math ideas in there. Also the "Sir Cumference" series is good.

Cool topics:

Sequences, functions, graphing stuff, fractals, binary/other bases, other number systems, codes, pentominoes, tangrams, money. My mathy DS5 likes to play Descartes' Cove with me. He needs help but he is fascinated by it and learns a lot of math from it. I think of it as a fun teaching tool.

Please post any good stuff you find. I'm always looking for things, too!

JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline

My DW and I were wondering about getting Descartes' Cove. We weren't sure if it would be too much for him at this point. Sounds like you like it?

JB

I really have to sit with him and explain stuff as we go. I had ordered it thinking I would show it to him in a year or two but he didn't want to wait smile We reason out how to solve the problem and then look up the formulas in the secret notebook. The game also allows you to "buy hints." DS can't do all the calculations yet but I let him do the ones he can do. Sometimes he comes up with his own methods (like drawing a diagram and estimating or something.) If he wants to use my calculator to figure it out I let him do that too.

You can see a demo on the CTY website.

Oh, that reminds me, another fun math thing is calculation tools like abacuses, slide rules, calculators or finger calculation tricks.

Last edited by Cathy A; 05/07/08 12:07 PM.
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline

DS and I made up this finger math game where you use sign language numbers (so you can go from 1 - 10 using one hand). So one person makes a number in each hand and then the other person says which is greater or if they're equal too. We started really simple with the ability to do positive and negative numbers (an upside down hand means negative) and then we added a sign to denote adding two numbers together. By the end of the week it *really* complex ... you could do all the basic math operations and squares and cubes. We still play that game at bath time.

JB

Cool idea! I'll show my DS--thanks smile

Another good book is The Number Devil.

A fun geometry toy is Zome.

http://www.zometool.com/

I hope you old timers are not tired of seeing my math book links:
    http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art28465.asp

hth!

Never! smile Such great help!

Kriston
    Don't forget the Hoagies links:

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/math.htm

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/physics.htm

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/mathematics.htm

I also like the Mathing Group off at yahoo for links/resources of fun stuff.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MathingOff/

My son enjoys the Zoombinis games, Crazy Machines(more physics than true math) and Math Blasters on the computer. He also loves any and all math oriented puzzle books. Zaccaro's Primary Math Challenges is also his idea of a fun evening! Games he's enjoyed include Count Across, Count Down and Set.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM