Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #15254 05/05/08 11:05 AM
    S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Would you pay $60+ for this book? I've currently got a borrowed copy but am bidding for it on ebay. The current bid is $54 and it ends in 8 hours. The only other prices I have see for it are $125 and $135. I've enjoyed the book and it is on indefinite loan. I'm thinking maybe the Parenting version (Topsy-Turvey Kids, I think) might be a better choice, and for less money.

Any thoughts?

S
    S
    For me, it would definitely have been worth $60. I wish I could buy more - I know DS5's teacher might appreciate it. I paid the regular price ($25) when DD7's testing was done.

In my opinion, Topsy-Turvy Kids is no substitute (I have that too).

Whether it's worth that much to you depends on how much you believe your child is a VSL. I found the whole book fascinating, since a lot of it applies not just to my dd but to my other kids, to two of my brothers and to myself as well. It may also depend on what you are looking for - if you are merely looking for a few solutions, stick with the articles on the VSL website, but if you want an in-depth understanding, go for the book.

that's my two cents
    smile

S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Just FYI, it went for $74. I haven't decided how VSL he his, but my husband is defintely VSL, which I realized while reading the book. Thanks for the opinions.

I wonder if you could contact Linda Silverman at the GDC and ask if she can sell you a copy. Chances are, she has a supply and will sell at far less that 75$. I just got my copy back from a friend,
    and I am interested in rereading to see how it applies to my girls.
    I do think it is very valuable information for a strong V/S person.

S
    S
    The GDC price is regular retail, $25. But last I checked, they are saving them for their testing families. We got one when dd was tested, and then to make a long story short I needed another one for a close relative, and I had to beg and plead to get them to sell it to me - it was not easy. It can't hurt to try, so make the call, but I don't think the GDC is selling to just anyone - I assume they're trying to make their supply last as long as possible because it's out of print. I wonder what it would take for the publisher to print more. Once, on googling the title, I found some sort of book distributor who had it on their list for a bookstore to order from (at regular retail price), but it was impossible to know whether they really had it or not.

OK I don't know if this should be a separate topic or not, if so I'll split it off. How do you know if DC is VSL? I've taken some online quizzes. If the cutoff is 14pts, my DS would score 12 lol. My friend's DD scored PRI>>>VCI. PRI=149 vs 126 for VCI on the WISCIV. WOuld that indicate a VSL child? But from her reading she wouldn't say her DD is VSL.

Dazey

S
    S
    Dazey - it's all a matter of degree - no one learns "only" with either their right or left brains, but there are people who heavily favor one over the other. Some people are an even balance. Some people might lean in one direction just a little, or a lot.

As for the on-line quizzes, I like better the table that distinguishes between the two forms: http://www.visualspatial.org/Articles/appendc.pdf

I can't say about your DS. As for your friend's dd, I wonder if it depends on what her subtest scores were for the PRI - I think certain subtests might be more indicative of VSL than others (block design, for example).

With my dd, based on the wisc iv, the testers were able to say with complete certainty that she is a VSL. So far I believe they were entirely correct, even though there are some things dd can do that are on the auditory-sequential part of the chart (e.g. spelling). I'd say that personally, I'm moderately VSL but without as dramatic left-brain weaknesses that my dd seems to have.
    smile

Last edited by snowgirl; 05/07/08 10:07 AM.
    Her Block Design was 19, Picture concepts 16, and Matrix Reasoning 19.

I'll check out that website. Thanks!

Snowgirl - I didn't see a quiz at the link you posted. Can you post a direct link?

Thanks!

S
    S
    egads lol sorry about that! http://www.visualspatial.org/Articles/appendc.pdf It's not a quiz per se but a comparison chart.

I'm still getting used to my new laptop...
    smile

Last edited by snowgirl; 05/07/08 10:09 AM. Reason: ok I admit it's actually preggo brain! 35 weeks and nearing d-day...
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM