Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Originally Posted by Wren
    I remember raking leaves (part chore) with friends and we created lines on the lawn and made "homes". Figuring out blueprints. Except for bead assembly packages, my kid doesn't have a natural outlet like I did to use what is in the environment and create. The most is taking all the beach blankets and making tents on the beach.

I was just reminiscing the other day about how I spent time reading a comic book entitled "The History of Money" by the New York Federal Reserve when I was a kid.

Found it in my memento box along with some of my old silver bullion coins.

I almost sold those things when silver went parabolic a few months ago, but I figured that I should just keep them.

U
    U
    In the end, the final child who was not eliminated got to keep the bucket and all candy that was left inside the bucket.

When the other kids realized this they started protesting and yelling at me: That is not fair! Hey, we only got one, this is so unfair!!

They criticized and protested, rather then congratulate the student that actually won the game.

I looked at the kids and said, wrong! This game was totally and completely fair. Everyone had an equal chance to win (it wasn't based on intelligence or skill, simply on dumb luck) and everyone received a prize (at least one piece of candy) for playing. I told them how disappointed I was that they were so busy complaining that they failed to congratulate the boy who won the game and acknowledge his success.

Good for you.

I think it's appropriate to have "everybody wins" games for small children--let's say, 5 and under. After that, it becomes ridiculous to have everyone always get a prize and nothing ever be skill-based or even luck-based, where someone wins and someone doesn't. I sometimes think all the competitive urge now gets channeled into the few places it's still allowed, such as sports, and that's why sports has gotten increasingly berserk. Kids need practice being graceful losers and graceful winners.

I guess I have a little anxiety. I had to argue with myself to let my kids sleep when I first had them. My kids are fine, I'm just talking about the kind of parental anxiety that makes you want to stay up all night when you have a new baby. (not that they don't wake you up enough). I had to tell myself, "I have to trust them with their own lives, and this is the first step. I have to trust them to stay alive by themselves tonight." Riduclous, right. At least I'm able to argue with myself.

Someone here didn't let their grown kid go away to college because they didn't trust her not to throw her life away for a boy if she got too far from home. She had to go to a local college. But, on the other hand you have more than one teenager here with several kids. There are probably a million creative ways to mess up your child, only a third of which come from their parents. All people are talented at creating their own unique set of problems.

I err on the side that the article supports, my kid feels very independant. Now I have the problem of convincing him he's not the one in charge of everything and everybody. For his age he's very capable and I've always given him a long leash. See above where I came to grips with the fact that my kids lives belong to them and I'm here to foster and develop their independance. I told myself from the beginning I have to start now keeping that goal in mind that soon I'll have to trust them with their own lives completely. Ironically, this makes me over involved in other ways because I'm constantly trying to teach them so they'll do better, because I know I'm giving them more and more control over their own lives younger than usual. I believe they'll take the wheel sooner than usual whether I prepare them the best I can or not, so that's the best guidance I can give them. You should see some poor people have a heart attack with my two year old on the big slide. I answer, "I was very scared every time she did that last year, but I'm getting better this year." Parenting fills u with intense emotions, more than usual.
    HK & Lori, you already know this, but "forget them" and do what you need to do to raise your babies. I don't know if it helps to hear another person voice support for your decisions, but there it is.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Yeah, just interpretation-- a lot of parents use API (well, their own version) to justify all manner of helicopter behavior, though. We are believers in API, fwiw. Just not that vision of it that doesn't view the ultimate goal as having children who grow to become functional, independent adults. I don't know. I see parents who seem to wish that they could freeze their kids at 2-5yo. Yes, they're amazing at those ages, but honestly... I think my 13yo is pretty amazing, too, and I treasure seeing glimpses of the adult she is becoming. Those are just as precious as the sweet preschooler 'I love you mommy' kisses. To me, anyway.

I wonder if part of it is a reluctance to give up that position of omnipotence/asymmetric ability or power that we have when our kids are little?
    I love that post. I find the whole parenting arms race totally asinine, because child-led parenting gives you the right answer most of the time.

Now, my in-laws are a case study in failure to launch. They're a family of children plagued by insecure attachment...intermittently ignored and henpecked. MIL is a classic Munchausen mother, though her helicoptering MO is more about facilitating her children's failure than securing success to fuel her own self-worth. She's all about downplaying children's abilities so she can be the "miracle teacher".

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Z
    Z
    I think there is less new to these "trends" than many make there out to be. The grass is greener, eh? And these things tend to alternate generations. War heroes bred hippies who bred young Republicans who bred Gen Y video gamers who don't breed because they are living in their parents' basements covered in a fine dusting of Cheetos.

Perhaps schools opened their doors wider to parents because some anecdotal study suggested better students come with more engaged parents, but the only parents who came in the door were the ones already queued up outside.

W
    W
    But isn't that the point of the discussion Zenscan? I don't think there is a question that the herd follows the cultural thesis of the times. We are sticking our heads up from the herd and discussing how to get on a different path?

And in doing so, perhaps we will forget the next cultural thesis on raising kids. Maybe someone here will write the book and go on Oprah. Raising your kids to leave home after college. I bet that would be a best seller.

W
    W
    I meant to say forge the next cultural thesis. maybe my subconscious didn't

O
    O
    Originally Posted by Wren
    Maybe someone here will write the book and go on Oprah. Raising your kids to leave home after college. I bet that would be a best seller.

Sorry, I'm too busy scheduling "play dates". wink

Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    I think there is less new to these "trends" than many make there out to be. The grass is greener, eh? And these things tend to alternate generations. War heroes bred hippies who bred young Republicans who bred Gen Y video gamers who don't breed because they are living in their parents' basements covered in a fine dusting of Cheetos.

You can also view it through a lens of credit expansion and contraction.

I'm not comfortable with the statement that we're all helicopter parents to some degree. To me that represents a false binary, where the only choices are between being excessively involved in your child's life, or being completely uninvolved. I see a continuum, with a healthy level of involvement somewhere in the middle... and all of us constantly trying to find that middle, and erring on one side or the other, depending on the situation.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM