Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #15361 05/06/08 03:05 PM
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Do you have examples of what your kids are involved with in the community?

I'm active in the community and my kids tag along, but haven't attached themselves to anything specific yet and I wanted to get them thinking about it this summer.

cym #15362 05/06/08 03:07 PM
    I'm reading with interest. I've wanted to do regular service projects with my kids, but haven't found anything that grabs me/us/them yet.

Good question, Cym! laugh

Kriston
    Most of the community service activities in which my children participate are through our church. We do a variety of outreach activities in the community such as giving away dinners at Thanksgiving, handing out blankets and lunches to homeless people, and operating a food pantry and clothing closet. My dd often serves the valuable role of translator when we volunteer in community service activities.

As director of our elementary children's ministry, I feel that giving the children an active role in service projects is important. Before Spring Break our kid's raised money to provide Spring Breach lunches for the students at my dd's school who receive free and reduced lunches (over 70% of the student body). The kids did all the advertising by creating flyers and slides and by making the announcements at church. Once all the food was purchased, the children sorted the food into individual bags for distribution. Another church heard about what we were doing and decided to participate in the project. On the day we handed out the food at the school, there was enough for every student at the school with extra left over that was sent to a women's shelter.

K
    K
    This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart! I actually volunteer for a local non-profit that is dedicated to families volunteering together. I built their website (by hand without development tools, so go easy on me - I only had so much time to dedicate to it and didn't have time to design it as well as I would have liked. I basically just did it exactly how the director wanted it. Aren't I full of excuses??? wink ). They have a lot of resources and suggestions out there. And if you find any broken links, feel free to let me know. We just did a web site upgrade not too long ago!

http://doinggoodtogether.org

kimck #15366 05/06/08 04:15 PM
    Love the site, kimck! No apologizing preface necessary! It's wonderful.

I have it bookmarked and I'll see what we can come up with to work on. My kids love to draw, so maybe we ought to draw pictures for someone (hospital? nursing home?) and then visit to drop them off. We'll see...

Anyway, thanks for the link. smile

Kriston
    Yes thanks kimck! I was thinking just earlier today we needed to find some kind of volunteer work to do together as a family. Thank you for posting the website! smile

My dd8 and I are participating in a program led by National Geographic and the California State parks. We are doing a 24 hour marathon with scientists observing and recording as many plants and animal species as we can at our local mountains.

Thanks, I bookmarked it also to look at in depth later.

How fun, bianca! How did you find out about that? Do they have similar programs in other states?

Kriston
    We are involved with a number of things through church, scouts, and 4-H. On a completely individual level, GS8 has a huge interest in gardening and donates some of the excess produce to food pantries. We also clean up the ditches along our farm several times a year and take the cans to the recycler and give the money to our scout den.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM