Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    How fun, bianca! How did you find out about that? Do they have similar programs in other states?

Hi Kriston,

I am not sure if they are doing this in different states. I would assume they would. Here is their website: maybe you can find more info there: nationalgeographic.com/bioblitz or bioblitz@ngs.org

Last Thursday my dd and I were driving to school and we decided to keep driving (I wanted to try homeschooling for a day). We ended up in a small national park and they had information about it there.

Last edited by bianc850a; 05/06/08 08:19 PM.
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Great website, kimck!

Bianc, what a great project! Have fun.

Our middle school has monthly Service Learning Projects. My oldest chose to work on the educational program for our local art museum, researched artists, made an ipod tour and scavenger hunt. My current 7th grader has been reading to young elementary school children in an ESL class. They have choices each year, including river restoration project, therapeutic horseback riding help for disabled children, retirement home visits, elementary school outreach.

Most of what I do is supporting schools, gifted, education. I would like to help each of the boys find something meaningful to them, where they can make a real difference. I love to hear what others are doing!

cym #15416 05/07/08 07:18 AM
    Thanks, bianca. I'll check it out. smile

Kriston
    Both kids play instruments during masses and other church events. They are involved in more hands on projects for the homeless/poor through scouting.
    One unusual project Ghost did this spring with a friend - a movie about poor in our city and a shelter that is trying to help them. They do hope to screen the movie in that shelter eventually (it is not ready yet to go on DVD).

Ania #15452 05/07/08 01:18 PM
    Isa Offline
    At which age did you start actively involving your kids in those kinds of activities?

Isa #15455 05/07/08 03:26 PM
    K
    K
    I made a point from even the age of 2 to take my son out shopping for toys for underprivileged kids during the holidays, or letting him help pick out some extra food for the food shelf when we were out grocery shopping. Even very small kids understand that kind of giving, and you can start very simply without a big time commitment.

kimck #15475 05/07/08 06:14 PM
    I think it's important for the child to see the parents doing volunteer work as part of their lives. Then as the child gets bigger and into his own activities it will be natural for him to start doing community service projects.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM