Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #153179 04/11/13 11:27 AM
    M
    moomin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    gone

Last edited by moomin; 08/09/14 09:39 AM. Reason: gone
    D
    D
    hi moomin! i have an odd question - you mention that age-peer group play is scary for your daughter. does she do well playing in groups where the kids are older?

i wonder about this because we worried a lot about our girl (5) re: social anxiety (her dad is a classic case, so we've had an eye on the issue.) a lot of observation and some work with a psychologist revealed an interesting, if unfortunate, dynamic at school.

as it turns out, age-peer group play is a particular problem for her because no matter what game they're playing, she either adds on more complex rules or layers in a storyline. tag is never just tag - it's a contagious virus sweeping the world and she's a virologist who can un-tag the current carrier and steal being "it". she's only trying to make it more interesting for everyone, but in the process, she often loses the other kids and winds up alone. based on this pattern, she has concluded that they all hate her. (they don't - i get about 6 playdate requests a day for her and her teachers say she's the most popular girl in the class - it's quite a paradox!)

so... what looked like a serious fear of group situations turned out to be somewhat true, but it wasn't quite the whole story. there was something very specific that was causing the trouble, and as soon as we knew what it was, it was a bit easier to tackle.

i do think it's amazing that your daughter integrated the neuropsych's advice about the restroom so quickly - that's a VERY good sign. with social anxiety (again, with the husband!), it's so hard to break out of old patterns and try a new strategy. your daughter may even have some ideas on how she could improve her situation - she sounds like such a great kid.

ps - i LOVE the idea of going out the window - it feels like the beginning of a great adventure novel.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    ps - i LOVE the idea of going out the window - it feels like the beginning of a great adventure novel.

Ooh it does...
    Moomin, have you checked to make sure she doesn't have a new strange glowing artifact hidden under her bed? An intricate tattoo on the palm of her hand she claims to have drawn herself? Or perhaps any strange animals knocking on the front door?

L
    L
    I suspect that it is boredom and not anxiety that is causing your dd to be disruptive. She is probably yearning for creative, out of the window (oops, I mean box) kind of thinking. I was somewhat like her at school. Twice I came close to being expelled. Once for trying to dig up the school plumbing pipes and once for making my friends cover their faces in mud(I told them it had medicinal properties that would make them beautiful). I was less than 7yo and bored to death and did not realize how bad my actions were or how they would affect others. Maybe sitting down with your dd and role-playing would help figure out what is causing her to do this.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by moomin
    In the end, the major problem is that my daughter has been so disruptive, and is so resistant to group play with same age peers that many of them have given up on her.

oh, that's so tricky, and so sad. but... i wonder if this might be a small clue that it might not be (generalized) social anxiety, but rather anxiety about specific social situations? it's clearly super-debilitating for her to feel so isolated, but also kind of understandable given her bad experiences with the other kids.

i know it's free-play time that's the problem, but maybe the teacher could try implementing recess friendship pairs for a short period of time as an experiment? if it was done thoughtfully, it might expose her to kids she would mesh better with, and it might give her more of a sense of belonging? if it wasn't a total disaster, the teacher could gradually try adding a third/fourth/etc person to form slightly larger groups? they could even use these groups to examine math concepts if they were really thinking about it (ha - although that kind of thinking is what gets me in so much trouble at our school!)

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    P
    P
    OK, this isn't directly related to your question - but - I'm just curious - was anything said by school staff about addressing the issue that your dd was able to go to the bathroom alone and able to access a window that she could climb out of? What would they have done if she'd managed to leave the courtyard? That just worries me a little bit. Our kids were never allowed to go the bathroom alone in K-1. They could go anytime they needed to, but they had to grab a buddy to go with them.

And the window.... seems like it should be locked or have a screen over it or something. I am not an alarmist, but I can totally see a bunch of impish little early elementary tikes thinking it would be fun to go through the window!

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM