Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    My DD has just recently been diagnosed with Aspergers, she's borderline, she definitely needs social skill support, but the social skills group for girls with Aspergers of her age that we enrolled her in was an unmitigated disaster and we pulled her out after one session - she came home saying "OMG what do you think is WRONG with me? Why did you send me there? They talk to us like babies... Like stupid babies..."

We know she needs something but that clearly wasn't it. If we had been required by school to have her doing something I am pretty sure we would have still pulled her out of that one, with a firm commitment to the school to find something more suitable asap. Actively damaging her self esteem was not going to do anything for her social skills.

In the case of the course we pulled out of I think the content was probably ok, but that the particular facilitators we had delivering the course were completely lacking the skills and personality required to do it well. And quite possibly completely lacking the social skills they were supposed to be demonstrating... The person taking the group is critical.

D
    Dbat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by CCN
    Originally Posted by epoh
    Are you working on getting her evaluated for autism? I would consider doing that, and letting the psych know that you are working on that. Sometimes just informing these people that you are working on having your child evaluated completely changes the way they feel about your kids (suddenly they are much more sensitive and concerned, instead of irritated and annoyed.)

Yup. I've had this experience too smile

Here too. Also often true of peers; DS's peers were afraid of him until a great teacher educated everyone about his challenges. He has had a lot of support.

Sometimes if you equip people to do the right or helpful thing, they do it.

Thanks for your thoughts; DeeDee, I'm definitely going to check out that Secret Agent Society thing. Yes, we have had DD evaluated--about six times now, at various points and for different reasons. Interestingly, none of any of those evaluations says "DD has x"; they all suggest possibilities. The consensus seems to be that she is on the spectrum, but she doesn't meet all the criteria--she has social issues in the "A" group in the DSM, but doesn't meet the "B" group criteria (the stereotypic/repetitive behavior stuff). So I guess that would make the correct diagnosis PDD-NOS. I haven't worried too much about what it is exactly because we have been in private schools so far and so IEPs aren't relevant (yet).

Actually the group was suggested by the school but it's at a completely independent practice; the school is private and very small and doesn't have any staff people who are psychs or SLPs or anything like that. The group is at the same practice where DD was previously evaluated and is also where the school asked us to take DD for individual therapy sessions (which we did for awhile until they stopped asking for them), and the psych running the group knows all of that and has read through the evaluations, etc., and was communicating with the individual therapy psych about DD, etc., etc. So it's not like she doesn't know about DD and all the stuff we've been doing.

Thanks very much for all your thoughts, again; it's been really helpful. It's so nice to be able to bounce ideas off people who understand smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM