Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    puffin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I gave my sons report to his new teacher at the end of last year. He has an IQ of 158 and no weaknesses or 2E issues. In the report it clearly stated the need for an IEP. I waited to the PT interview - nothing except very bright but needs to work on his writing (not handwriting, creative writing). I waited some more, today I requested an IEP in writing as we are one week of 1/4 way through the year.

The answer. All children receive I individual instruction, IEPs only for kids with disabilities (not TRUE) except one in the school (if so i know the one but her mum thinks there are others).
    I can take it up with the management if i have a problem.

He is willing to give my son really hard maths homework - said in a way that left me no doubt it would be the other extreme of what it is now.

I said it was getting harder to get him to school. He said some kids are just like that and it doesn't mean anything. I said in my case and my sons fathers case it did mean something and I wasn't going to allow my son have the experience I did and develop depression by early teens. He said not to put my problems on my son and schools were different now.

I didn't point out that my 18 year old brother (26 years younger) had much the same experience and last seen was unemployed, homeless, depressed and on drugs. And other members of the family have had the same experiences

M
    M
    Puffin is he public or private? High end private? Catholic? That will effect my advice.

P
    puffin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    New Zealand public. We do have 2 alternatives locally. Catholic - but we are Anglican and the school has a huge waiting list. And a christian school which is reasonably priced and I have heard good things about but is rather more fundamentalist that I would comfortable with as a first choice.

Basically i not asking for anything that has not been done before. And he was kind of rude.

M
    M
    I thought you were in Australia... Don't know anything about the NZ system sorry.

P
    puffin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks anyway. The question is whether to accept it or take it further up the food chain. Is it worth alienating the teacher to get what will probably be minimal help anyway.

There may be something available next year if he passes the schools tests (achievement I guess not aptitude).

I might be better off afterschooling and trying to get a subsidy and scrape up some money somehow so he can attend the private one day school (there is nothing publically funded). I would of course then have to get the principal to release him to attend.

M
    M
    We absolutely involve the principle in planning for our DD - "because thy have the overview / long term plan". Whe thy were at private school though the special Ed teacher was much more useful. You have to figure out who at your school gets things done...

But also junior primary is just hellish for such a gifted child, and the earlier in their schooling the worse it is.... My youngest is 2 yrs from starting school and I am already pain stricken about her first year/s

P
    puffin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    His first year wasn't bad. It was a short year due to his birthday and he wasn't reading when he started. But now he is two years ahead in reading and not stretched in maths. He seems to like the social aspects (though he is not great socially is not that bad), he is good at sports and likes the PE stuff and the occasional science.

his lunch hour finishes at 1.30 and I finish work at one. I am seriously considering just picking him up after lunch fairly frequently to just relax, watch some educational DVDs etc.

It just kind on annoys me that all the teacher will say is work on his writing which is pretty age appropriate for a boy who can't think what to write about. Why not pay some attention to what he is good at and maybe make him more enthused and challenged. He will just do the minimum otherwise.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by puffin; 04/11/13 03:50 AM.
    A
    A
    Yep, take it up the food chain Puffin! IEPs in NZ are not just for those with learning disabilities - they're for those with barriers to learning (and I'd say sometimes a teacher can be that barrier!)

Probably you've found these already but I find these sites helpful reading (sorry don't know how to make short links):

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducati...cationPlansGuidelines/WhoNeedsAnIEP.aspx

http://gifted.tki.org.nz/For-parents-and-whanau

http://gifted.tki.org.nz/For-schools-and-teachers

Good luck

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM