Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    P
    P
    marytheres I can tell you that after beating my head into a brick wall over and over about IEP violations I found the silver bullet was a meeting with the superintendent. It wasn't easy to get - the district staff see it as their job to keep parents away from her. Once we laid out what was happening she handed down word "the IEP is to be followed to the letter." You may want to consider this route.

Remember that my situation has gotten *very* contentious so take this with a grain of salt. I would absolutely not take it upon myself to notify the paras or the specials teachers. That is not my job. If the people who are responsible for implementing the IEP choose not to do their jobs I will NOT do it for them. I will go to their supervisors and have them insist that they do it properly. I have come to realize that often school districts rely on the naiveté and inexperience of parents. Even smart, committed, educated parents have a learning curve. The number of times I have said "If I knew then what I know now..." Well now I know and I have learned the hard way. If it is in the IEP they have to do it. Period. If they don't I will hold them accountable.

Of course I have a situation where we have a principal who has been intentionally trying to cause DD harm - I don't get the sense that you have that. There may be some disagreements about what your DS's needs are or how best to meet them. They may think you are overprotective or "enabling". But if it is in the IEP they have to do it. I would consider asking your advocate about accompanying you to a meeting with the spec ed director or superintendent. I think that will be your best bet for addressing the big picture of how you and this school (or school district) are going to work together moving forward.

This is exhausting and frustrating and feels as though it is a bottomless pit at times. Stay strong. You are doing what needs to be done for your son and you are doing it well.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Mana
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    I would absolutely not take it upon myself to notify the paras or the specials teachers. That is not my job. If the people who are responsible for implementing the IEP choose not to do their jobs I will NOT do it for them.

Adding to this, marytheres, who exactly is your son's IEP coordinator?

I don't know ... I don't recall seeing anyone titled with this role. But I think it is the special education support teacher as she is the one who drafts the IEP and sends it to me, etc...

Last edited by marytheres; 04/11/13 08:40 PM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    I would consider asking your advocate about accompanying you to a meeting with the spec ed director or superintendent. I think that will be your best bet for addressing the big picture of how you and this school (or school district) are going to work together moving forward.

This is exhausting and frustrating and feels as though it is a bottomless pit at times. Stay strong. You are doing what needs to be done for your son and you are doing it well.

Thanks so much. I have started cc'ing in the Special Ed Director... maybe that will help.

Last edited by marytheres; 04/11/13 08:48 PM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    hmmmm looking now. I think I have only seen LEA next to principal and asst. dir. of spec ed.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Nope, no one is labeled as "IEP coordinator" on the sign in sheet or anywhere else that the names are listed.

Last edited by marytheres; 04/11/13 09:01 PM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks Mana! I'll add that to my outline of concerns and suggestions to be discussed at the upcoming IEP, i.e., that we should designate a coordinator who is responsible for informing and apprising all of DS's teachers. Even though it's not federally mandated, we should be doing it because clearly there are issues when there isn't one.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Okay so quick question. I talked more with DS about "library classroom" class. Apparently, there has been a great deal of writing in there all year. DS never got help. He tearfully shared about different assignments how he wanted so much to participate in them but just couldn't keep up and couldn't write, including tests for the class. I want to see this work. I want to see how bad it is.

I now have the library classroom teachers email and I actually see her every Monday b/c I volunteer at library exchange.

Do you think I could request to see DS's all year long work? I get that from his main teacher but I never see anything form the specials teachers. Should I request a parent teacher conference with her? I really just want to see his work product.

Or should I just let it go? I am really interested in seeing the work DS produced in this situation where he was not given a scribe.

I was thinking of requesting that she bring his work to Library exchange this Monday (or next) so I can see it. We have another IEP mtg set up for the 23rd to hammer out the specifics of the scribing accommodation. This may be really good stuff to show why he needs the scribing and how bad he *really* is.

Thoughts? Advice?

Last edited by marytheres; 04/14/13 10:17 AM.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM