Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Z
    Z
    I'd think the closer you are to the core diagnosis, the more accurate the therapy will be. At a symptom basis my DS could be diagnosed with dysgraphia and visual processing disorder, but it is more hand eye coordination delay because of his vision issue. Now that the vision and amblyopia is corrected we are anticipating the other aspects to catch up (though literal catching may be a ways off, if he ever learns to not flinch.)

So some visual work and hand-eye work is his current path. If we don't get progress then we'd seek a formal diagnosis to get accomodations and OT.

I
    I
    Yup , yup and yup to each of polarbear's posts! But how awesome that she is better and not as reluctant... so WISH for that for my son. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking how over the moon I'd be if I could report the same in two years (regardless if he has dysgraphia or not, ykwim?)

U
    U
    be sure that the stories and information she's getting down via hw are comparable to the detail and length of what she's capable of telling orally

I hesitate somewhat to post this, since I am treading in unfamiliar territory here, but I am VERY sure my DD9 does not have dysgraphia (she has beautiful handwriting, draws beautifully, and produces voluminous writing) but I would say she probably still can tell a better story than she can write. She's very verbal and the words just spill out a lot faster and more fluently than she could write them down. At the same time, her writing is way above grade level as well.

P
    P
    My DD8 also has a 50+ point difference between her processing and verbal scores. At our IEP meeting the other day the district ordered several new evaluations, including a Sensory Integration evaluation. She has been getting OT in school for more than a year and had been getting it privately for more than a year before that. She has had 2 neuropsych evals as well as a full eval by the school psychologist. It was the Assistive Technology evaluator that recommended this evaluation. Obviously we don't know yet what the results will be but if there is a possibility that there is a sensory issue that can be addressed to help overcome the challenges she faces you bet I want to know.

(By the way I don't think we really have a good diagnoses at this point. The neuropsych diagnosed dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyspraxia, math disability and anxiety-nos along with verbal scores above 99th percentile. He put them all under an umbrella of "Nonverbal Learning Disorder -ish". She doesn't really meet the criteria for NLD but "it's a useful diagnostic concept." He also labeled ADHD-Inattentive which we totally disagree with - we think he simply measured the results of her shutting down from anxiety. Yes I want to get a correct diagnosis but at least for now we have specific issues identified and are trying as best as we can to have them addressed.)

P
    P
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    be sure that the stories and information she's getting down via hw are comparable to the detail and length of what she's capable of telling orally

I hesitate somewhat to post this, since I am treading in unfamiliar territory here, but I am VERY sure my DD9 does not have dysgraphia (she has beautiful handwriting, draws beautifully, and produces voluminous writing) but I would say she probably still can tell a better story than she can write. She's very verbal and the words just spill out a lot faster and more fluently than she could write them down. At the same time, her writing is way above grade level as well.

Dysgraphia diagnoses aren't made simply on speed of oral vs written fluency - I suspect telling stories orally is faster for most kids at that age (or any age). Typing is also faster for almost everyone than handwriting is - that's not the same thing as dysgraphia - and that's one reason why having a professional diagnosis when dysgraphia is suspected can be very important.

polarbear

U
    U
    What I mean is that it isn't just faster orally, but the detail is richer and it's more fluent, because she doesn't lose the thread due to having to write. I think this is generally true of younger kids. Which isn't to say anyone here doesn't have dysgraphia!--just that I was surprised that it would be considered typical to have written work be comparable to oral output at this age.

DD is in a GT school and I see kids who are soooo verbal and articulate in person but whose writing skills are just nowhere near that (DD's mismatch is less profound). Of course, maybe some of those kids are dysgraphic. I notice that writing is really all over the map for these kids.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    just that I was surprised that it would be considered typical to have written work be comparable to oral output at this age.

Oral is compared to written for dysgraphic kids, but it's in combination with other symptoms, and the difference is much more profound than it is for typically developing kids. I'd describe my dd11 as a gifted writer - her words simply flow - beautifully, and she loves loves loves to create stories. Her handwriting when she's creating a story is much sloppier than when she's telling a story (and probably looks several grade levels below her current grade), and her spelling, caps etc all fall too pieces while she's writing a rough draft etc. She will add more detail if she creates the story by telling it than by writing. So - in a post, here, that may sound like a wee bit of dysgraphia, but it's not. She's been through a neuropsych for other reasons and none of her testing and none of the reviews of her writing samples hinted at dysgraphia. She has never in her entire life hesitated to write or complained about it. My dysgraphic ds, otoh, if you were to watch him compose with handwriting in real life - especially sitting next to a NT developing child - it's really obvious he has some type of challenge going on putting his thoughts down on paper.

There are also different reasons for dysgraphia (fine motor, visual processing etc) - and those reasons will manifest in other types of symptoms. For example, my ds wasn't able to learn how to tie his shoes until 4th grade. He is very slow with buttons and zippers - not just slow but the kind of slow that you notice slow. The lack of automaticity that is part and parcel of dysgraphia shows up in other areas of his life. He will tell you things like "I like writing numbers better because there are only 10 of them I have to remember how to make" (and he's 13 years old). His hand used to hurt like crazy when he wrote. Dysgraphics often need help developing a proper pencil grip. A ton of different things going on.

Sorry I hope that didn't sound like a lecture - it wasn't meant to be! Just wanted to explain better how there is a difference (very noticable usually) in dysgraphics output via hw vs oral/keyboarding etc - and how it's different than the difference you see in typically developing children.

Best wishes,

polarbear

I
    I
    ElizabethN, what do you think caused her to get so much better in her handwriting? Was it sensory integration therapy? Or simple OT therapy. My son doesn't seem to be progressing at all with regular OT.

E
    E
    Honestly, I think it was just maturation. It probably helps that she has accommodations for the SPD at school so she does not spend a lot of time in intolerable (to her) circumstances. But she's growing up and getting better at tolerating discomfort. I wish I could put it down to a particular type of therapy or something, but I think it's just taking a little longer than average for her to "grow into her own skin."

U
    U
    No worries! I realize I was sticking my head in where I didn't belong, which is always a foolish plan, really--just I thought, "Huh, DD can STILL tell a better story than she can write..."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM