Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    I would be inclined to consider bringing up all topics you deem appropriate at the IEP meeting, including the para/scribe's noncompliance with the IEP accommodations, and if he refuses to discuss the situation at the IEP meeting, then sending a letter documenting his refusal to discuss this aspect of the IEP with the advocate present.

I'm inclined to start written documentation when schools start intimidating or harassing behavior.

I went through a great deal with a public preschool regarding my daughter's life-threatening food allergies. The starting point was meeting with me and my 4 year-old and saying in front of her that her teacher, school nurse, and administrator met and concluded it was "better for them if she didn't attend" because of her life-threatening food allergies. They also refused to hold a meeting to determine her eligibility for a 504 Plan, despite a formal written request.

Written documentation via letters is an option. We did make some headway. She was allowed to attend the public preschool program they already had invited her to attend. She did get a fabulous 504 Plan, thanks to again, careful written documentation and substantiation of deficits that jeopardized her.

The administrators did threaten me at the 504 meeting that nothing was to be in writing or I found myself miserable for the rest of our time at that district. (No, I didn't stop written documentation of serious issues, such as my daughter not being allowed to attend school, the school refusing to hold a meeting to address eligibility for a 504 Plan, my daughter being given several foods containing her allergens at a party after conversations w/3 different personnel addressing the upcoming party and the plan to ensure my DD's safety. I found a gracious way to gently document their request nothing be in writing.)

With life-threatening food allergies, my daughter's life was literally at stake. Whatever protection I secured that year -- receiving a 504 or not, the specific accommodations listed in a 504 plan -- likely would be the level of protection she would have until high school.

The school district so flagrantly disregarded 40 years of disability law and reacted so shockingly that I felt I had no choice except to resort to written documentation. It was in some senses successful. At the same time, it was extremely stressful. I ended up deciding to homeschool, so that my time and energy could be spent on my children and their education instead of trying to persuade someone else to ensure my daughter's life would be protected.

These situations are so tricky. I would love to have achieved the same results through nice, diplomatic conversations. I tend to get concerned that if school districts make a very intimidating and inappropriate move (such as the way you were told the issue related to your son's IEP would not be discussed), then I think you need to consider that if it goes unchecked you have opened the door to them continuing and increasingly using such tactics with you. I think written documentation can be a successful "check" on such behavior.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Last edited by Mom2277; 04/03/13 10:28 PM.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    I may be really unpopular with this advice, but I'd bring the advocate and I'd focus 100% on the positive.

This is good advice. In our district, if you bring a lawyer, they have to bring theirs, and it escalates into an adversarial process quickly. But sticking with the advocate and using a positive strategy is going to be a reasonable next step that calms the principal down.

DeeDee

D
    D
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by master of none
    I may be really unpopular with this advice, but I'd bring the advocate and I'd focus 100% on the positive.

This is good advice. In our district, if you bring a lawyer, they have to bring theirs, and it escalates into an adversarial process quickly. But sticking with the advocate and using a positive strategy is going to be a reasonable next step that calms the principal down.

DeeDee

I strongly agree with this!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM