Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 60 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    T
    OP Offline
    T

Thanks, I found this reply very helpful. We don't have a problem concerning sports or immaturity at all so the negative list is very short. He is very small but his dad is small so I think that is something he will just have to learn to deal with in life.

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Hi MamaLisa,

Warning, this is a very pro-acceleration forum! People find this board because they are having troubles that most people do not experience. That said, you will find a lot of people who have gone through exactly what you are going through. We also have a kiddo who was an excellent candidate for a grade skip on the IAS, and we effectively skipped him twice. First he skipped first grade, then we transferred him to an accelerated program mid-year 2nd grade, going from a class size of 22 to a class size of 29, IIRC. The bigger class size made no difference whatsoever, as DS was finally in a more appropriate educational setting and the teacher was awesome.

Especially considering that your kiddo asked for the skip, has friends in the receiving grade, would be close to age to most of the kids in the grade up, on top of all the evidence of what a great candidate for skipping he is, I am sure you will have difficulties convincing anyone that holding him back is a better idea. But I am only commenting based on the info you gave us. There are plenty of reasons people choose to not skip their kids (sports, very small size, immaturity, to name a few), but I have not seen any evidence of this in your post.

Good luck!

P
    P
    My apologies..you didn't say all. That's what I get for speed reading. Sorry.

P
    P
    Sometime just half a dozen very dominant people can make it seem like everyone is like them though.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM