Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Bear's counselor has suggested that he see a psychiatrist to discuss the possibility of mood stabilizers for his emotional disregulation. I'm not against medicating children if necessary, but at 6 and with mood stabilizers??? I wasn't expecting this suggestion and I honestly have no idea what to do with it. The thought of medicating my baby with something he would most likely be stuck taking the rest of his life is rather terrifying to me.

I have the mild version of bi-polar, depression with hypomania instead of full blown mania, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Bear has similar issues. He's been diagnosed with SPD, anxiety and Aspergers has been tossed about but not diagnosed (he was tested and didn't get the diagnosis, but professionals still see the markers and remark on it). I manage with herbals and anti-anxiety pills as needed, no modd stabilizers or depression meds. It's HARD to do it without the meds, but I'm making it so far. I've been off the depression meds for two years now.

Has anyone had issues like this? I just sort of need to know that I'm not alone dealing with stuff like this and that it does get better eventually...

Bipolar II disorder is not actually the "mild version", but is considered to be more of a life-destroying illness over time than type I (at least without treatment, although type II does apparently respond well to treatment). Maybe you have a mild case of type II, of course.

I think that you have to consider the possibility, if Bear's mood changes are severe, that he has a worse problem than you. Also consider that he might improve with just a mood stabilizer, and that if he takes an antidepressant that there are other options than SSRIs.

No matter what, I would get at least two opinions, possibly more, and ask for every possible battery to be administered to aid in a correct diagnosis.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    I
    I
    In February I started giving my DS this herbal supplement http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodiola_rosea because he seemed irritable and I was researching around about herbs and such to help. I saw an immediate difference. I didn't tell my mom or DS's teachers that I was giving it to him and, I kid you not, they ALL commented on how much better DS seemed - less irritable and angry within a day of his starting the herb. One day he was annoyed and irritable and I thought of maybe those herbs really aren't doing anything after all and it was just a placebo effect. Then I found the pill on the table next to his water. He put it aside and hadn't taken it (Btw, he thinks its just a kid vitamin). If you try it you have to get the kind that comes from Russia (not the kind from China) I get "New Chapter Rhodiola force" - it's harvested (supposedly) in Russia and is also allegedly organic. I give him 100mgs in the morning a half an hour before breakfast and 100 mgs when I pick him up from school at 3pm. My DS gets fatigued due to his hypotonia issues and such, so maybe it's just that it is helping with rather than his anxiety - I don't know. I just know whatever it is doing it is working. Just a thought for you. I have tried other things (herbs and supplements) and wasted money (one made him hyper for two days - it was carintine supplement that I gave him for fatigue and low muscle tone). This is the only supplement I have tried thus far and REALLY saw positive significant improvement pm his mood and the first one where others who were unaware I was giving him something were like "what is up with DS, he seems so much less moody." Maybe try that first?

I
    I
    Oh and I swear I don't work for New Chapter or any vitamin or supplement company!

I
    I
    Also, I just read through your other post on your suspicions of stealth dyslexia and dysgraphia. I have the same problem with my DS - he is at or above grade level but I KNOW something is wrong with his reading and writing... I strongly suspect dysgraphia but it could also be stealth dyslexia. I am going to have him evaluated by a neuropsych b/c the school eval was pretty useless and caused more hard than good. My point is I think it is very taxing on these very bright kids who are silently suffering with stealth dyslexia and/or dysgraphia... I think it is very hard on many of them and very stressful. That may be having a big effect on your LO's mood. I think it's why my child is moody and stressed... His emotional state can deteriorate to a terrible state when his accommodations are withheld, which they have been b/c he doesn't SEEM like he has a learning difference. I think there is a huge emotional toll on these kids.

Last edited by marytheres; 03/28/13 06:41 PM.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Wyldkat
    Bear's counselor has suggested that he see a psychiatrist to discuss the possibility of mood stabilizers for his emotional disregulation. I'm not against medicating children if necessary, but at 6 and with mood stabilizers??? ... He's been diagnosed with SPD, anxiety and Aspergers has been tossed about but not diagnosed (he was tested and didn't get the diagnosis, but professionals still see the markers and remark on it).

If possible, I would want to re-evaluate to determine the diagnosis more definitely. You wouldn't medicate for autism the same way you medicate for BP, and it's really important to get this right. Is there a developmental pediatrician and/or a neuropsychologist you could see? Compared to a psychiatrist, we find our dev ped more nuanced in her thinking.

I will say that we started medicating our DS (who has Asperger's) around that age, maybe a shade later; it was not an easy choice, but it was really important to his well-being. An SSRI got his anxiety under control; that allowed him to function so much better.

You will figure it out...
    DeeDee

W
    Wyldkat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    If the psychiatrist is strong for medication, I will definitely look for a second opinion. I've also decided to contact a naturopath (I figure I can afford one appointment) and see what options are available that aren't prescription based.

I
    I
    Ohhh Ask about Rhiodola! Also, are you/your family/son vegetarian by any chance? I just saw this really disturbing show about B-12 deficiency and all of the problems it can cause and emotional disregulation is, of course, a symptom and there are neurological symptoms and damage that is caused by the deficiency.... It has motivated me today to hide ground liver in my meatballs to get my family (and myself) to eat it as it is loaded with B-12 ( I know disgusting, right? LOL)... Anyway, here is the video (it's really interesting):
    Just something else to consider and look into it.

Last edited by marytheres; 03/30/13 12:41 PM.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by marytheres
    Ohhh Ask about Rhiodola! Also, are you/your family/son vegetarian by any chance? I just saw this really disturbing show about B-12 deficiency and all of the problems it can cause and emotional disregulation is, of course, a symptom and there are neurological symptoms and damage that is caused by the deficiency....

Yes!! B12 is hugely important and next to impossible to find in the plant kingdom... Also, folate (green leafy veggies) if eaten in excess can supposedly mask a B12 deficiency.

Last edited by CCN; 03/31/13 08:07 AM.
    P
    P
    I had anti-anxiety meds as a young child for a while. I think they worked but I wasn't on them for the rest of my childhood. I then got put on anti-depressants as a teenager and have been on and off them about 30 years. If the anxiety is a major problem I would go with the meds - but don't stop looking at other things and causes. I am only just starting to realise some of the things that caused the problems now I have my own kids.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM