Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #152236 03/29/13 05:21 PM
    J
    JamD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi all -
    I posted last year when my DD, now 9, was diagnosed as 2E. Tester discussed stealth dyslexia - to me it describes her perfectly.

DS12 is also very gifted, a DYS, and took Explore in 3rd - so DD wanted to also. Psychologist encouraged us to request time and a half accommodations. In the end, we didn't. This was really just for her to have the experience, and 3 hours felt like long enough for her first test. She didn't really want to spend more time testing, and we had other plans for that afternoon.

After the test, she told us she'd gotten about to question 13 or 14 on each section (out of 30 or 40 total, depending on the test) before they gave the 5 minute warning, then just filled in random answers for the rest in her last 2 minutes. :-) Obviously she could have used more time!

With that in mind, I feel like her scores are decent:

English 13
    Mathematics 13
    Reading 11
    Science 14
    Composite 13

I guess I'm just musing with the only crowd I can think of to muse with! Who knows how to interpret this, of course - I'm sure she got some percentage correct in her random guesses, and I think it is not a simple 1-to-1 scoring - but if I think she actually answered about 50% of each section, then she got about 50% of the possible "points..." - well, maybe that means she did well on the ones she got to answer?

Anyway - she was not at all worried about not getting them done, and this was just for the experience. We started her with Orton-Gillingham this year, and while she still struggles with reading (especially short sentences) she is improving. I guess we could consider doing next year if she is up for it and comparing.

Anyone else do EXPLORE with a 2E kiddo, with or without accommodations?

Last edited by JamD; 03/29/13 05:28 PM.
    C
    C
    We did all talent search with our 2e kids without accommodations (Explore, SAT, ACT). Even for my dd who has had a 504 plan at school for yrs with extended time accommodations, we thought that there were some benefits to taking the talent search exams without the time extention so she could practice taking tests that were too difficult without enough time to try to learn to work as fast as possible for her and how to budget time on these types of tests.

To me, the only drawback to not requesting extra time was that her scores were a bit below DYS cuts and might have made the DYS requirement with extra time had we wanted to apply for her.

J
    JamD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hm...maybe that's why I'm feeling conflicted. We signed her up for the test because she asked to try it, and so she could have the experience. But her scores were actually pretty close to DYS criteria - several just 1 or 2 points off - and so now I wonder if we should have requested the accommodations.

(Sigh.) Oh well. It was a good experience for her and that's what counts.

Last edited by JamD; 03/29/13 06:48 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM