Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    D
    damoyni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D

Hi
    I have a DS5 who was dx'd w this about a year ago. We have been working w a SLP for about 8 months and I'm not sure if we are really seeing any progress on this front. My son was a v early reader (2.5-3) and is 2 yrs+ advanced in math. He is articulate when he speaks but when it comes to narrative, ideating from the abstract, imaginitive play - it's a real struggle. I am wondering if anyone can shed light on therapies/strategies they have seen as effective for this.
    We are in a social skills group as well using "Social Thinking" curric.
    TIA!

P
    P
    My ds13 has an expressive language disorder which wasn't diagnosed until he was around 10 years old. His challenge shows up much more in written expression, same kind of challenge though - he's very strong in math and reading, and sounds like he's a-ok verbally too - unless you pay close attention and realize that he can talk up a storm about factual things he knows about, but is stumped by expressing abstract ideas. His challenges first showed up at school when he would appear to freeze over open-ended writing assignments (starting in 2nd grade). In hindsight, his conversations when he was younger, although complicated, deep, clearly evident of high IQ - were all focused on factual things that he knew about or engineering type ideas he'd dreamed up - things that could be built. He never engaged in imaginary play when he was little. He's ok socially though - he reads social cues a-ok, has friends, etc. His largest challenge there is that his expression doesn't always show what he really feels inside.

The key for ds has been repetition, repetition, repetition.... on and on and on. Nothing is automatic, so it takes lots of repetition... which of course means progress can seem very slow.

The thing that's helped our ds most is speech therapy with an SLP. It's a long haul thought - he's been working with an SLP for 2 1/2 years now, and I'm guesstimating that he'll continue with his SLP for at least another year (as long as he's continuing to make progress). Progress is slow - if I showed you examples of his work that were only 1-2 months apart, you'd probably not notice any difference, but his SLP will pull up examples from a year ago or longer, do a similar exercise, and we can really see the progress. I can also look back 2-3 years and see amazing progress - not amazing compared to a neurotypical kid, but amazing still.

I'll also add (jmo) - I think I see faster and better progress as ds gets old enough that the material he is working with at school is a better intellectual fit. He *had* to work through basics to develop any kind of writing ability at all and those came slow to him, but once he was able to apply what he'd learned and at the same time was in a challenging environment at school, he began to write really well. It is still not easy to get the thoughts organized and out of his head, but when he is able to get his ideas out, they come out sounding like the EG kid that he is. Note - this isn't the same thing as a typically developing gifted child not producing work at their level until they are challenged - he absolutely definitely has a true challenge with written expression - it's simply been easier to help him remediate and make progress as he's been able to be appropriately intellectually challenged at school. I SO didn't explain that very well - sorry!

That's all I can think of at the moment - Portia has some great advice!

Best wishes,

polarbear

D
    damoyni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thank you so much. This is such great input from you both!
    Portia -I love the logical language approach - it would definitely be approp for my DS. And of course I'd love to hear more about how you guided the emotions aspect of it.
    Polarbear - we are anticipating this is def going to show up in written expression as well. Early on did your SLP focus on verbal or did the work initially focus on written?

I'm wondering if there are any particular curricula, programs, tools etc that your SLPs used that you found more effective than others?

Thank you again.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM