Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    sreedevi9, agen, Postini, Phaedenit, babyrazia
    10900 Registered Users
    January
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Page 178 of 263 < 1 2 ... 176 177 178 179 180 ... 262 263 >
    Topic Options
    #151756 - 03/22/13 05:18 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Pru]
    Lovemydd Offline

Omg, Pru this is so well written I cannot believe a 9 year old wrote this. Your dd is amazing in her ability to convey such a difficult topic in such a way that it would appeal to all readers. Love the tower analogy. I am an environmentalist and that image is going to stick in my head. I also love that her essay is not all doom and gloom. She tells you what we can do to fix it. The last line is the icing on the cake. Very well done. Please tell your dd that a stranger who read her essay is mind blown:)

#151778 - 03/23/13 08:43 AM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Lovemydd]
    Pru Offline

Originally Posted By: Lovemydd
    Omg, Pru this is so well written I cannot believe a 9 year old wrote this. Your dd is amazing in her ability to convey such a difficult topic in such a way that it would appeal to all readers. Love the tower analogy. I am an environmentalist and that image is going to stick in my head. I also love that her essay is not all doom and gloom. She tells you what we can do to fix it. The last line is the icing on the cake. Very well done. Please tell your dd that a stranger who read her essay is mind blown:)
    Thank you so much for your feedback! I shared it with DD and she was clearly moved in her poker-face way. She said she likes compliments but has a hard time receiving them. It really helps me too because sometimes I doubt my own impressions as being parental bias. I don't so much want to brag as to have another adult confirm this "Wow" feeling from some of the things she's done.

I've suspected DD of plagiarism more than once and always come up empty handed and embarrassed. I finally stopped doing it, and her teacher assures me she writes this way in class too.

Anyway, I'm printing your feedback to keep in a folder for encouraging DD. smile

#151799 - 03/23/13 04:55 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    aquinas Offline

Lovely composition, Pru! You're rightly proud. smile

#151800 - 03/23/13 05:01 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    aquinas Offline

This is a three part brag.

1. DS17mo has started sight reading words. At the museum yesterday, he pointed out several exit signs, and a few "caution, wet floor" signs. His excitement is adorable. He giggles uncontrollably when he realizes he's understood the "secret words".

2. He's also ridiculously enthusiastic about the alphabet and counting, generally. One of our favourite activities lately is checking out the exotic cars in our condo's parking garage. He makes a point of identifying numbers and letters on licence plates and parking slips. He's also cataloging a detailed list of automotive components, like axles and chassis.

3. We bought a museum guide for a special exhibit on Patagonian dinosaurs near us. The exhibit features about 40 different species. When he first saw the cover of the book, he shouted out, "giganotosaurus!", clear as a bell. (ETA: the cover featured a giganotosaurus.) He did this completely unprompted. The next day, he asked to watch the "pteranodon movie"-- an episode of a PBS Kids show.

#151803 - 03/23/13 06:24 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Michaela Offline

Loc: The bottom of my cup
    If you're getting the same gigantosaurus that's just leaving here, it has my younger DS's seal of approval

The way they set it up here, the toes were at eye level for a carried 16 month old... and mine was VERY excited to point at it's toes and his toes, and it's toes and his toes... he even tried to do this little piggy... erm and we'll leave it at that smile

They have a lot of small dinosaurs too that DS really loved. Anyway, I'm getting distracted. It was an Awesome exhibit.

#151804 - 03/23/13 06:38 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Michaela]
    aquinas Offline

Adorable, Michaela!

Re: the exhibit, we loved it and, at times, HAD to go 2x times per week. As in, we woke up and 2 seconds later all I heard was, "Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs! See dinosaurs please!" DS loved playing with the "microscope". Fun and games! It was a stellar exhibit...too bad we have to wait 3 months for the next installation to complete.

#151823 - 03/24/13 02:05 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Khombi Offline

These are not really brags just examples of things we hear every day from DS age 4.

I overheard him giving examples of three states of matter using the end products of the digestive and urinary systems.

When asked where he would like to go for a fun outing he chose the water treatment plant.

On entering a dept. Store he says, how about we split up. When asked what he meant by that, he said, you go your way and I'll go mine. Ummm maybe in about 10 years.

His teacher asked him to try to use lower case letters when writing. He said that
    He would rather not but he would be glad to try hieroglyphics.

#151824 - 03/24/13 02:38 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: Khombi]
    Lovemydd Offline

Originally Posted By: Khombi

When asked where he would like to go for a fun outing he chose the water treatment plant.

How about a play date to a WWTP? DD3.5 is also all into WWTP. She was really upset that she couldn't visit one. So I found this cool YouTube video. She has watched it only a million times smile hope your DS enjoys it too.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz29NqwK78

#151826 - 03/24/13 03:30 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    Khombi Offline

Thanks Lovemydd! DS loved the video! He was really proud that we do all the things to help mentioned at the end. I am sure DS Would love a play date with your DD, sounds like they would get along fine!

#151834 - 03/24/13 05:51 PM Re: The ultimate brag thread [Re: CFK]
    NotSoGifted Offline

Lovemydd, just let your DD know that she really isn't missing anything - the WWTP field trip is not that much fun. The professor that took us on that field trip looked up the stats on the WWTP operator (former student of his) and found he was at the bottom of the class. He warned us that we could end up at the WWTP too if we didn't study...the stench was awful, even though the operator said it didn't smell bad that day.

Page 178 of 263 < 1 2 ... 176 177 178 179 180 ... 262 263 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Open college classes to everyone
    by mithawk
    08:02 AM
    Flipped Classroom
    by aeh
    01/18/21 02:15 PM
    Counting to 10
    by aquinas
    01/18/21 09:04 AM