Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 178 of 268 1 2 176 177 178 179 180 267 268
    A
    A
    Lovely composition, Pru! You're rightly proud. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    This is a three part brag.

1. DS17mo has started sight reading words. At the museum yesterday, he pointed out several exit signs, and a few "caution, wet floor" signs. His excitement is adorable. He giggles uncontrollably when he realizes he's understood the "secret words".

2. He's also ridiculously enthusiastic about the alphabet and counting, generally. One of our favourite activities lately is checking out the exotic cars in our condo's parking garage. He makes a point of identifying numbers and letters on licence plates and parking slips. He's also cataloging a detailed list of automotive components, like axles and chassis.

3. We bought a museum guide for a special exhibit on Patagonian dinosaurs near us. The exhibit features about 40 different species. When he first saw the cover of the book, he shouted out, "giganotosaurus!", clear as a bell. (ETA: the cover featured a giganotosaurus.) He did this completely unprompted. The next day, he asked to watch the "pteranodon movie"-- an episode of a PBS Kids show.

If you're getting the same gigantosaurus that's just leaving here, it has my younger DS's seal of approval

The way they set it up here, the toes were at eye level for a carried 16 month old... and mine was VERY excited to point at it's toes and his toes, and it's toes and his toes... he even tried to do this little piggy... erm and we'll leave it at that smile

They have a lot of small dinosaurs too that DS really loved. Anyway, I'm getting distracted. It was an Awesome exhibit.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    A
    A
    Adorable, Michaela!

Re: the exhibit, we loved it and, at times, HAD to go 2x times per week. As in, we woke up and 2 seconds later all I heard was, "Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs! See dinosaurs please!" DS loved playing with the "microscope". Fun and games! It was a stellar exhibit...too bad we have to wait 3 months for the next installation to complete.

K
    K
    These are not really brags just examples of things we hear every day from DS age 4.

I overheard him giving examples of three states of matter using the end products of the digestive and urinary systems.

When asked where he would like to go for a fun outing he chose the water treatment plant.

On entering a dept. Store he says, how about we split up. When asked what he meant by that, he said, you go your way and I'll go mine. Ummm maybe in about 10 years.

His teacher asked him to try to use lower case letters when writing. He said that
    He would rather not but he would be glad to try hieroglyphics.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by Khombi
    When asked where he would like to go for a fun outing he chose the water treatment plant.

How about a play date to a WWTP? DD3.5 is also all into WWTP. She was really upset that she couldn't visit one. So I found this cool YouTube video. She has watched it only a million times smile hope your DS enjoys it too.

K
    K
    Thanks Lovemydd! DS loved the video! He was really proud that we do all the things to help mentioned at the end. I am sure DS Would love a play date with your DD, sounds like they would get along fine!

N
    N
    Lovemydd, just let your DD know that she really isn't missing anything - the WWTP field trip is not that much fun. The professor that took us on that field trip looked up the stats on the WWTP operator (former student of his) and found he was at the bottom of the class. He warned us that we could end up at the WWTP too if we didn't study...the stench was awful, even though the operator said it didn't smell bad that day.

L
    L
    This is more "kids say the darndest thing" kinda post. Yesterday, we took DD3.5 for a school visit as her current school is closing the end of this school year. They invited us to attend the morning school meeting. It was one girl's turn to tell a joke which went like this ,"Why does the abominable snowman like going to party?" DD raises her hand and says," Because he has a big bottom." I went beet red. On our way home, I asked what she meant and she said," Mom, instead of party I made it potty and said the silly thing because it is funny." Really?
    PS. answer was because he likes to break the ice.

F
    F
    DS7 (first grade) has mastered multi digit multiplication. He is using the lattice method. He has taught his aunt, grandma and adult cousins how to use this method. He completed 5 questions less then 10 minutes. Some examples of what he completed .. 256 x 24 ; 38 x 17 ; 67 x 45 etc..

Page 178 of 268 1 2 176 177 178 179 180 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM