Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    Moomin, its probably also worth considering that she may score higher on an iq test for older children like the WISC, particularly given the achievement data.

Moomin
    Is there any way to expand your school search area? If you aren't sure about the immediate schools or homeschooling it might be worth seeing what a longer commute gets you. We moved and made one of our commutes much longer to get DS better accommodations - they don't really meet his needs but it's better than the zoned options we had before moving. And best because its a gifted school the kids are closer in interests and skill sets across DSs - he still stands out, but not so far that they have a hard time accommodating some of his needs, like in reading and math where every kid reads at their evaluated level.

For us homeschooling was not possible so we had to find something to make it work. Not sure how long this will last but we found a school will to work with us, so it might work awhile.

DeHe

Originally Posted by moomin
    I'm genuinely less concerned about fully meeting her academic needs, and more concerned with her being placed a stable and survivable environment with a tolerant teacher. Both my wife and I would have qualified for DYS as kids (we were both tested and identified by our school psychiatrists with IQs significantly higher than the DD's WPPSI score). I was placed in a public gifted school, but the curriculum there was pretty conventional, and my wife just muddled through the standard public school system with no accommodation or acceleration. We both felt like we had good and bad years, and we both went on to pursue advanced degrees in our fields.

Neither of us felt wildly under served.

There are so many variables, though, that it's difficult to compare your educational experience with your child's. First, there's personality. For example, I was grossly under-served in elementary, but my reaction to that was very different from my DD's. I protested; she hid. I found other entertainments, and if the teacher had to put my name on the board for talking too much, as long as it didn't escalate into actual punishments, who cares? My DD bottled up all her energy and frustration, then let it explode at home, because being a good citizen was important to her for reasons I don't think I'll ever fully understand.

Furthermore, the different changes in public schools, between NCLB one one hand and SENG/Davidson-type consciousness-raising on the other, have combined in my DD's school to create a uniquely ridiculous mish-mash that I'm not sure can serve ANYBODY, much less my DD. Schools are doing spiraling curriculum these days... that's guaranteed to make a high-IQ kid angry. My DD's school was teaching things out of order, like having the kids solve perimeter and area of a rectangle before they'd learned multiplication... this turns something simple into something tedious, counting squares and angering high-IQ kids.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Dude
    [quote=moomin] My DD bottled up all her energy and frustration, then let it explode at home, because being a good citizen was important to her for reasons I don't think I'll ever fully understand.

This sounds so much like my DS.

If you homeschool, you can work at your DD's pace, interests, needs, etc. It might be the least-worst scenario. Of course, if you can find another school that could work, then perhaps this is a moot point.

By all means you could try a public or private school and see what happens, but I'd be prepared to withdraw DD if it doesn't work out. I didn't set out to homeschool and there are days when I want to pull my hair out, but so far it's been working out and a better solution than any formal school at the moment. I'm trying to take things one day at a time and see the homeschooling as a long-term temporary situation that may change eventually with time. There are more opportunities, for instance, high school+ level, especially online, that possibly opens more doors.

My eg/pg DS7 was in two private gifted schools for pre-k and k; I'm homeschooling him today because neither school could accommodate/accelerate him. At the first school, he rapidly accelerated through the pre-k/k/1st grade curriculum within 2 1/2 months and the headmaster refused to bump him up to the 2nd/3rd grade class even for math, which he was his strong suit. The second school was a bit better in being less structured and classroom-driven, but DS7 still faced issues with not going ahead in math because he hadn't mastered his addition facts properly yet, which was ridiculous to me. He was in kindergarten. Of course, the cost for these private schools became a reason for homeschooling. At least with homeschooling this year, I've got a much better grasp on what DS7's cognitive abilities are rather than relying on what little his former teachers said.

There's a lot of variables with schools from the teachers to the curriculum to the other students that most neurotypical parents don't have to face. Between NCLB and the emphasis on standards, most teachers devote their energies to the ones struggling in class and to learn rather than the ones who have already mastered the material or are bored due to the lack of academic opportunities. I wish you luck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM