Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    Pru Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks, everyone. I feel much better about it, although its recent appearance still strikes me as odd.

Zen Scanner's suggestion of it being part of social camouflage is an interesting angle. DD does strive to be ditzy and not as smart as she is, which I wasn't expecting with her being in a mostly gifted class.

Last edited by Pru; 03/21/13 08:50 AM.
    Is it possible she heard someone else in her class mispronounce the word(s), and now she's second-guessing herself? I have all kinds of words like that. (Byzantine is one!)

Interesting thread. My DS9's speech patterns recently were brought back to light when he got some comments from classmates telling him how much they like his accent. Of course, none of us in the family thought he had an accent... He learned to speak very early, and had many sounds he could not say, so he learned them differently. He has graduated from speech class, but there are some vowel sounds he says a bit differently, and I guess it sounds like an accent. I'm glad the girls like it! smile

ETA: Like others here, DS also was an early reader and has ideas about words he has read but never heard. Sometimes quite amusing. Mitochondria was an interesting one.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 03/21/13 08:59 AM.
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    I can't recall the words that are like the OP's example at the moment, but when she sees "Tear Here" on a package, she almost always says "tear" as in the crying pronunciation, not as in ripping.

I suspect this is because the rhyming sound that she gets that way reinforces the mispronunciation. I actually do the same thing in my head on that one, although I have managed to train myself not to say it out loud.

I
    I
    I find it interesting that this type of mispronunciation has almost become a thing of the past as online dictionaries have become commonplace, and feature pre-recorded audio pronunciation.

That said, there was a word I evidently had difficulty with, and there was a particular person who would routinely take it upon themselves to mock me. The word was "aspartame," one of the possible sweeteners used in sugarless chewing gum. As online dictionaries emerged, they pronounced the word as I did. Go figure!
    link - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aspartame
    Which pronunciation do you tend to use...?

BTW, the Word-of-The-Day feature is a popular option for building vocabulary.
    One example: https://www.merriam-webster.com/word-of-the-day

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM