Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    D
    HK is exactly write about his motivation. This is why the letter strategy is effective, even if he doesn't put anything in writing, if you ever end up before a judge you will have all of your letters/e-mails documenting what was said. I think Pete Wright really knows what he is talking about and he pretty strongly encouraged parents to avoid bringing a lawyer until absolutely necessary. I would start with the advocate.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I have to start bringing someone - someone supportive. I love my husband but he gets too caught up in and excited by when they start showing how "well" Ds is doing. They sort of exploit that emotion that you want signs that your child is "cured" or "fixed" DH tends to eat it up. I know better, plus I spend a lot more time with DS particularly with school and learning tasks so I see the discrepancy.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by marytheres
    I have to start bringing someone - someone supportive. I love my husband but he gets too caught up in and excited by when they start showing how "well" Ds is doing. They sort of exploit that emotion that you want signs that your child is "cured" or "fixed" DH tends to eat it up. I know better, plus I spend a lot more time with DS particularly with school and learning tasks so I see the discrepancy.

I absolutely think it makes sense to bring someone. I know people have brought their clergy person. But just having someone else on your side of the table helps.

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    MARYTHERES,
    does your son get any type of inhome therapy?
    i ask simply b/c my DS does, and i have had that lead therapist (a trained professional who has been working with DS 1+yrs),actually attend an IEP mtg, as well as come with me very recently to a weekly teacher mtg, & observe the teacher/atmosphere etc, and it was smartest thing i did!

(DS is independent study thru district, we mt just 1x/wk w/ assigned teacher at a satellite schl.)

i was thinking perhaps you could have such a person attend future mtgs also? and it hasn't cost me any $$ as they therapist was able to go to the iep etc, and just not do the therapy hrs for that wk, however it worked out. what better person to have on your side than person who works with your kiddo smile

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM