Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 60 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    P
    P
    It is my understanding that the talent search does not send out the award notices until after all tests (ie all dates of the test) has been scored. Did he take Explore? If so, there was a test in mid February so maybe end of March beginning of April the award notices will go out.

See here for dates of other tests http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/numats/program/dates/

X
    X
    Deonne,

Yes, NUMATS replied that they are still waiting on Feb result to determine the award criteria. They will mail out invitation later in the spring. They also told me the mininum score for last year award is 85. That is above 99.1% percentile since 84 is 99.1% from last year data. This year 84 is only 98.6% percentile. This makes me feel that the award criteria of this year will be even higher.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Xiangbaobao
    Sure, DS9 is 4th grade. His composite score is 21, 98.6% percentile. Total score is 84.

I read on this forum before that the homepage of the toolbox tells you if the kid is qualified to go to award. Unfortunately I don't see such a message in our toolbox. frown We really hope that DS can go to the award as he took the the test very seriously this time. Especially he got a perfect score in math. We are all very proud of him for his scores.

The statistic data link in the toolbox is still 2012 data. NUMATS web page says that the top 2% go to the award. But in reality it seems only less than 2% went before.

Based on the last two year, it is only top 1% who will go to Northwestern ceremony.

But your kid is on the edge of cutoff, maybe the cutoff will be lower this year.

I think that your kid should qualify for state level ceremony.
    Good luck for your kid.

Last edited by MidwestDad; 03/18/13 06:12 AM.
    X
    X
    Thanks, MidwestDad!

We are in IL. I don't think there is a state level ceremony. All I know is the one organized by CTD.

M
    M
    We are living in Wisconsin, there is a state level ceremony here.

By the way, I guess that your son took the test on January 26, 2013, so you got the score. My son took the test on February 16, 2013, we have not got his score.

So you will not get the cutoff score table until my son's score is available because the cutoff is based on both tests.

Let's wait for the cutoff scores table.

Anyway, I think that we will go for Northwestern this year because my daughter should make it.

X
    X
    Congratulations to your daughter! Also good luck to your son!

Yes, my son took the test in Jan. I am wondering how they calculated the percentiles for my son's scores if Feb's scores have not been out yet. (They gave us all the percentiles on each subtest and composite scores in the toolbox.)

M
    M
    Congratulations to your daughter! Also good luck to your son!

Yes, my son took the test in Jan. I am wondering how they calculated the percentiles for my son's scores if Feb's scores have not been out yet. (They gave us all the percentiles on each subtest and composite scores in the toolbox.)

I think the statistical data is from last two years (2011 and 2012), not current year.

X
    X
    So it sounds that the percentile might change after Feb scores. Am I right?

M
    M
    So it sounds that the percentile might change after Feb scores. Am I right?

I do not think so. The scores from Jan and Feb 2013 will be used to do statistics for next two years (2014 and 2015).

Your son's percentage is based on the last two years scores (2011 and 2012). And current year is 2013.

Percentage for year 2013 is calculated based on the score data from 2011 and 2012.

Percentage for year 2014 is calculated based on the score data from 2012 and 2013.

Percentage for year 2015 is calculated based on the score data from 2013 and 2014.

X
    X
    hmm, then it doesn't make sense to me. In the tool box of 2013 Jan scores there is the link to 2012 data. But his 2013 score percentile doesn't match the 2012 data. For example, composite of 21 is 91.5% in 2012 data. But his report indicates 21 is only 98.6%.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM