Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #151005 03/15/13 10:41 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    So, right on the heels of the big brew-ha-ha over the school attempting to take away Ds's writing accommodations (scribing). I find out something else distrubing!

DS often mentions an aid that he doesn't like. Apparently, a lot of children, or at least Ds's friends, do not like her so I never thought too much of it. Yesterday, DS mentions school has been more pleasant without said aid around "criticizing him all of the time." (the exact words he used). When I asked for examples of how the paraprofessional "criticizes" him, he gave me one. He said that aid was scribing for him and, while she was scribing for him, she said to him "Look at Peter! Look at what a good job Peter is doing writing! That is what YOU should be doing, DS." Like I said, she said this while she was scribing him. DS said she makes comments like that to him a lot and that he hates how she makes him feel. I can't say that I blame him. I was only told of this yesterday, otherwise I would have certainly brought it up at the IEP meeting.

So I feel like a pain but I also feel like this also needs to be addressed. So, I email teacher and cc'd principal explaining the situation and ask teacher if she would please talk to said aid about this and also would she please explain to her why my son needs a scribe and should not push himself to write because of neuromuscular condition that results in weak muscle tone and weak joints.

I get an email back from principal that seemed annoyed with me. It said that he would speak to said aid about DS's "perceptions" and if "he decides something needs to be adjusted they will adjust it in the best interest of the child." Should I not have said something? I guess maybe the school has to be careful about not admitting guilt but the tone of the email to me was condescending, I thought... It seemed like he was annoyed and didn't believe DS's account. Principal said things like he has worked for many years with said aid, etc... I wrote back and assured him that it was not a "perception," teacher aid actually said that and that DS was very specific about it. I invited him to ask DS if he has any doubt. I added obviously an adjustment is necessary because such comments should not be made in the first place. My son should be able to access his accommodations without being put down for needing them.

Was I wrong to say anything? I am really getting the impression that people - teachers and paras, etc. REALLY DO NOT LIKE that DS gets a scribe! I am also getting the impression that really do not like me.

The other critisms, I think Polarbear may be able to help with perhaps. The aid, and I have noticed first-hand myself that the administrators like the people in charge of the car-line ect., are constantly yelling at DS for not "moving fast enough." His pace is rather slow and, to him, he is moving quickly and does not realize how slowly he walks up steps or even in general especially if he has to carry something or has his backpack on. Once in the car pick-up line he was walking to our car from the school and the administrator yelled at him with her stupid bull-horn in front of all of his friends, other grades and students and all of our neighbors and parents (in the car-line), "DS! MOVE YOUR LEGS!!!" According to her, he wasn't moving fast enough. I literally cringed (it really was embarassing) and my DS's face turned bright red and immediately clouded over. Quite honestly, there was absolutely no need for that at all. None. Polarbear and others, my DS is similar to a dyspraxic in those ways (he may even have dysparaxia or developemental coordination disorder) - the poor writing and fine motor, but also the slow gross motor, the clumsiness (he is always dropping things), uncoordination, etc. Do people YELL at your kids all of the time for it? To be clear, he is simply slow ... putting his tray up ay lunch, walking, espcially up stairs, etc. if it's becasue he is not doing what he is suppose to be doing that is one thing (like instead of walking he stopped to chat with a friend or look at leaf or something)... but like the car-line incident where he was indeed walking toward me when called, right for me, his pace is just slow (especially since his back-pack was heavy for him).

Anyway, seems like the honeymoon with the school is over. The crux of the matter is - people really do not like that DS gets a scribe... seems like one way or another they want to take that accommodation away - whether it is constantly trying to sneak the scribe accommodation out of the IEP or not folllowing the IEP in the classroom (and then using that as proof DS doesn't need the accommodation) or making DS feel so badly when he access the accommodation that he will do so less and less. So sad. frown

Last edited by marytheres; 03/15/13 10:56 AM.
    D
    D
    I'm sorry. There is a horrible aid at my ds9's school but thankfully his teacher is amazing and totally has his back and went to principal and made it clear bad behavior won't be tolerated.

I think the car line is crazy in general--they have done similar to my ds who has Down syndrome (I mean it seems pretty clear to me that they might understand why it takes him a little longer to get in,out of the car. But car line is not pleasant at my son's school . I think this is a school culture thing too, because the experience at my dd5's school car line is not so stressful.

P
    P
    I can't say that people "yell" at DD but they have pointed out her disabilities as a criticism. I respond immediately and strongly. I don't know about your DS but my DD is very, very sensitive so something like this stays with her for a very long time. Just the other day I spent a half hour on the phone with the SW drawing the line from actions and statements last fall that I believe have led to DD's increased anxiety and insistence on being sent home this week.

I had to push hard when they were inconsistent about providing para support and the teacher was disregarding the IEP requirements for support. Once they finally started to provide a substitute she refused to write for DD (not sure just what she thought she was there for...) and called DD - and I kid you not - "lazy" and "disrespectful" for "trying to get out of doing her own school work." DD started crying and refused to work with her anymore. To the school's credit they made this substitute para apologize to DD but they allowed her to continue working with her for the rest of the day. When she asked for an anxiety break they sent her to take a walk with this woman - the one who triggered the anxiety to begin with. I am not sure but I think during the time alone with DD this woman laid a guilt trip on her because ever since she has been very nervous about getting any of the paras in trouble and won't report anything improper.

At our parent teacher conference last fall the first thing the classroom teacher did was complain that DD "is very slow putting her things away in the morning." I said "You do realize DD is dyspraxic - right? She does everything slowly..." The teacher backed off the comment but it gave me great insight into what is likely going on. We have noticed a pattern that many if not most mornings DD develops some sort of physical complaint during the first minutes of the school day. In my conversation with the SW the other day I pointed out that if the teacher understands the situation so little that she can comment on how slow DD is to put her things away I have to assume that there is something happening at that time that is triggering DD's anxiety. Of course they do not admit to anything happening and this is a school that prohibits any sort of parental involvement. In other words there is no one other than school personnel to rely on for an accurate report of the situation.

Obviously your school does not like this accommodation. It is likely expensive and clumsy to administer. You have also shown yourself to be a parent that will hold their feet to the fire. Too bad. Their annoyance or your willingness to be a hard a** does not get them out of their obligation to meet your son's needs. I would be all over the woman with a megaphone like white on rice. I think you need to have very precise info on what the para is comparing between your ds and Peter. Maybe she was referring to his pencil grip or some other specific thing your ds is supposed to be working on. If it's just that Peter is doing his own writing and your ds is not that is definitely a problem. I'm not really sure how you find that out though...

Z
    Z
    The whole concept gets my blood boiling enough to wonder if Joe Pesci might do volunteer advocacy work.

Barring that, I've known a couple of people with business cards explaining their disability. Maybe a card with basic info and impacts, a reference to the Individual with Disabilities Act and a link to some state education site offering Disability Sensitivity training?

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    Obviously your school does not like this accommodation. It is likely expensive and clumsy to administer. You have also shown yourself to be a parent that will hold their feet to the fire. Too bad. Their annoyance or your willingness to be a hard a** does not get them out of their obligation to meet your son's needs. I would be all over the woman with a megaphone like white on rice. I think you need to have very precise info on what the para is comparing between your ds and Peter. Maybe she was referring to his pencil grip or some other specific thing your ds is supposed to be working on. If it's just that Peter is doing his own writing and your ds is not that is definitely a problem. I'm not really sure how you find that out though...

This.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The thing is with the Peter situation is that she didn't even say it to Peter (not his real name, btw!) Ds said that Peter was a few desks away and didn't even hear her... She said it specifically to DS, apparently to motivate DS to not use a scribe. Ds also reports that Peter also must have some sort of writing disorder like himself b/c Peter's writing is also horrible and he also uses special pencils and paper, etc. and also needs help with writing at times. I have no idea if Peter has a diagnosis or not but what it sounds to me and what DS's take on was that that aid was trying to encourage my DS not use his scribe - to push himself more like Peter does. Basically, I think it's pretty clear that, like you said, she was pointing out to DS that Peter does his own writing, even though it's hard for him, and my DS does not (he takes the easy way out I guess. That was the message my DS got from her. She was intending to make him feel badly for accessing his accommodations, imo.

Last edited by marytheres; 03/15/13 11:42 AM.
    P
    P
    Oh marytheres, this sounds horrible! I am so sorry your ds is experiencing the taunts in the drop-off line and the things the para has said. Were you wrong to say something? ABSOLUTELY NOT! You *needed* to speak up for your ds and you did.

Our ds hasn't been specifically yelled at (as far as I know), but we've experienced quite a bit of the issue of people at school thinking he's slow just because he's unmotivated or lazy or just slogging along. Can you let us know how your drop-off line works at school (for drop-off and pick-up)? The way I respond might depend on how it's done at your school.

I also am going to think a bit before responding about how I would reply to the para and drop-off situation. I need to let it sit and meditate on it awhile - not sure I have a good answer off the top of my head smile

I have to be honest, when we ran into these types of situations at ds' first school, we fought and fought and advocated and educated on and on and on and it never really changed much. DS was always very slow at his cubby in the morning and when it was time to get ready for lunch; ds' teacher knew he was dyspraxic, we explained it in meeting after meeting, provided literature, provided extra copies of ds' diagnoses and neuropsych report, emailed emailed emailed, shmoozed, ranted in a pc manner, you get the point. Nothing ever really got through to her that this was something that was a part of who he was and no amount of hurrying him along was going to make him move any faster. Same thing happened with most everything else we either had an issue with or needed to advocate for. Changing schools was like a breath of fresh air - I didn't realize how much the brick walls we were running into were simply a piece and parcel of the school culture where he was attending. I hope that's not the case for you and your ds.

I'll be back later with some ideas.

Sending you and your ds a big hug!

polarbear

P
    P
    ps - YIKES! I just read your update explaining what specifically happened with the scribe... argh!

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    Obviously your school does not like this accommodation. It is likely expensive and clumsy to administer. You have also shown yourself to be a parent that will hold their feet to the fire. Too bad. Their annoyance or your willingness to be a hard a** does not get them out of their obligation to meet your son's needs. I would be all over the woman with a megaphone like white on rice.

Yeah that's what I think. Thanks for the encouragement. Ugh people are such a$$es. I did tell the woman with the mega-phone off, she is acting super nice to DS now.

Joining in the parade of "staff can be stupid and insensitive" anecdotes, DD was 7, and a few weeks into the school year, started complaining of chronic back soreness. After it had gone on for enough days to be taken seriously, I started casting about for answers, and weighed her backpack, which turned out to be much too heavy, at nearly 20% of her body weight. Most of the excess weight was coming from liquids, as the drinking water at the school was substandard, and she wouldn't drink it. There were books she brought from home, as well as her lunch and normal homework items. She had to lug this thing to and from the car line, her home room, and a G/T pull-out all day.

We instructed DD to swap out her items to another wheeled backpack she had for traveling. And when she used it at school, she got yelled at to pick it up and carry it, because the wheels squeaked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM